XI. N O R E S T

m e r r i k

Merrik couldn't believe his luck. Or the absence of it, if he was being truthful. The rowdy club was not his usual scene, but the owner was a good client. He was obligated once a month to show his face and in return, he got good business. Never did he expect to see his brother here. He thought himself ex-communicated ever since their father had passed, but nothing was really gone forever, was it?

When they got outside, Stellan spoke again. "No. I left New York to get out of the gang, not to drop in here in Chicago to get back in the business with you."

Merrik chuckled darkly. "I'm afraid you don't have a choice. I need you to go on a run tonight." He grinned. "Come on, bro. It'll be like old times."

"What part of no don't you understand? You were always bossy, but now you've reached a whole new level," Stellan said.

Merrik frowned. Stellan would go on this job; he would make sure if it. "If you don't do as I say," Merrik reached into his pocket and started scrolling through his cell phone contacts. "I may have to give Vinnie a call."

Stellan's face paled further, and Merrik's eyes darted up to his face for an instant and back to the glowing light of his iPhone, a dark smirk crossing his face.

"Come on, Merrik. Please don't do that. I can't go back there. They'll kill me and..." Stellan looks at the girl with something more than concern, "there's no telling what they'd do to her. Do you really want to be responsible for that? Are you that evil?"

Merrik was not amused. Sure, he wasn't the most stand-up man in Chicago, but no one delivered like Stellan did. Years ago, when Stellan had reached out to Merrik and their father, they fed him, clothed him, and put him to work. It wasn't Merrik's fault that he was too soft.

It did not surprise Merrik that Stellan had run from the gang. His brother would never be like them. He did not have the heart for it, that much Merrik knew.

For a moment, Merrik felt a pang of annoyance. Why should Stellan get to defect with no consequence?

"Then you will deliver. I already have a buyer waiting," Merrik commanded.

Stellan glared at him. "You're really not going to let this go, are you?"

Merrik shook his head. "Nope. You do remember that, brother. I'm determined, and when I'm determined, shit gets done." He appraised his half-brother, and a thought came to his mind. If Stellan deserted the gang, what stopped him from taking the product and running off with the girl? He clearly cared about her; it was obvious from the way he looked at her. Merrik cleared his throat and spoke again. "One more thing. While you go make this sale, the girl will remain with me." Everly–was that her name?–looked at Stellan with wide eyes. "Collateral."

Stellan leveled him with the deadliest gaze he could possibly have mustered.

"You touch her, and I will kill you. There is nothing in this world or the next that can convince me to let you even look at her as an object to be used."

Merrik chuckled. "You must want to do this the hard way, then," he said, tapping on Vinnie's contact in his phone. He held it up for them to see. "Last chance."

Everly stepped up between them and put her hand on Merrik's phone. He noticed her nails were perfectly manicured. "Stop. I'll go with you."

Merrik smirked. "Your girl is smarter than you are, bro."

Stellan gave Everly a look of disbelief. "Ev, no. You shouldn't have to do this."

Everly just shook her head. " But I do, Stellan. Just go. I'll be here when you get back."