Chapter 8

One flu test and positive result later, and Ezra and I are on our way back to my house. Andy called me in a prescription, but it won't be ready for another few hours.

"Thanks for spending your day helping me out," I say, giving Ezra a small smile as we walk inside my house. 

"It's no problem," he says. 

I text Ricky, letting him know I have the flu. I ask him if he can keep the kids for a few days, so I don't get them sick. He agrees, and I send him a big thanks.

"I think I can take it from here," I tell Ezra.

I'm sure he's ready to get the hell out of here anyways.

"Are you sure?" he asks.

I nod. 

"I think I'll just go take a nap. I'm awfully sore and tired," I frown.

"Do you need anything before I go?" Ezra asks, staring at me with his loving eyes.

"I don't think so. Thank you for everything," I say. 

He gives me a small nod, and I hobble into the bedroom. After adjusting my pillows and laying down, it doesn't take me long to fall asleep.

_____

I wake up, and I feel even worse than before. My throat is dry and swollen, I'm burning up, and I feel shaky and nauseous. 

I groan, wishing I wasn't here alone. 

I slowly push myself to sit up, and I swing my legs around. I push my self up, and I wobble at first, but I manage to stand up with the help from holding on to my nightstand. 

I hobble past the living room and into the kitchen. I slowly open the fridge, and I take out some grape juice. 

"Need any help?" A voice asks, causing me to jump, and I drop the grape juice.

Unfortunately, I had just taken the top off, so grape juice spills all over the floor. 

"Oh goodness," Ezra says, running into the kitchen. 

He doesn't realize how much has spilt, and he runs a little too fast. His foot hits the juice, and he slides into me. I try to steady us, but with no luck. We both fall, and I land in grape juice. 

"Jo, I am so sorry," Ezra says, as he's laying on top of me.

However, his face says differently. Ezra's eyes are filled with happiness, and he's trying his best not to laugh.

"Very funny," I say, but I find myself holding in a laugh. 

I stare into Ezra's eyes, and he stares back. I long to lean in and kiss him. I long to hold him, just as I used to. 

"Wanna help me up?" I laugh, breaking our stare.

"Oh, of course!" Ezra clears his throat. 

Ezra stands up, and he stretches his arm out. I take his hand, and he slowly helps me up. 

"I'll clean this. You go get cleaned up yourself," Ezra smirks.

"Not to sound rude,  but why are you still here?" I ask, my voice raspy as ever. 

"I didn't want to leave you alone, just in case you started to feel worse. I picked up your prescription while you were napping," Ezra smiles.  

"That's sweet, but you don't have to stay," I say.

"I want to. You're sick. No one should be alone when there sick."

Is that the only reason?

I walk into my bedroom, and I throw on a pair of my pajamas. I slip on some socks, and I return to the living room. 

"Do you need some clothes?" I ask.

"I doubt I could fit into yours. Besides, your clothes aren't really my style," he smirks, laughing a little. 

"I actually have some of your clothes here," I say.

When Ezra and I broke up, he never got the clothes of his that were over here.

"Oh, really?" he asks. 

"They're in my top left drawer. I'm not exactly sure what's in there," I say, but I lie.

I know exactly what's in there. Three shirts, a pair of blue jean pants, red checkered pajama pants, and four pairs of socks. I used to wear his clothes after our break up. They smelled just like him, and it was the closest thing I had to him.

"Thanks," Ezra gives a small smile.

He makes his way into my bedroom, and I plop down on the couch. He comes back out a few minutes later, and he's wearing a plain white t -shirt and the red checkered pajama pants.  

Ezra plops down on the couch next to me, but he's careful to keep his distance. 

"Want to watch a movie?" I ask.

"Sure," he says. 

I scroll around Netflix, and I decide to put on Shrek.

"Is this alright?" I laugh. 

"I love a good ol' classic," he smiles. 

_____

Throughout the movie, I keep stealing glances at Ezra. I see him fiddling with his thumbs, and I open my mouth before I realize what I'm saying.

"Why did you almost kiss me the other night?" I blurt. 

Ezra's eyes widen, and he doesn't respond. 

"I guess my other question is, why didn't you kiss me?" I say, not knowing where this bold side of me is coming from. 

"I got caught up in the moment," he says, but it sounds like an excuse.

"So, you didn't want to?" I ask. 

"I just-"

"I know we didn't end on great terms," I interrupt him. 

"Leaving you after what happened- that's the hardest thing I've ever had to do," Ezra says. 

I think about the past. I think about the baby we lost.

"God, I wanted that baby more than anything," I say, and my eyes get watery.

"I did too, Jo."

Ezra pulls me into his chest, and I rest my head on him.

"Ezra, I'm sorry." 

Ezra cups my chin with his hand. I stare into his eyes. He stares back at me, with lust and passion. He leans in to kiss me, but I stop him.

"I'm sick," I say.

"I don't care," he says.

He fills the gap between us, and he kisses me. I kiss him back, and I find myself climbing onto his lap. Ezra breaks the kiss, and he scoops me up. I wrap my legs around him, and he carries me to the bedroom. He starts kissing me gently, and he lays me down on the bed. 

"God, I've missed you," he says, his breathing heavy. 

I pull him back in for a kiss, as my way of responding. I pull his shirt off, and he does the same with mine in response. 

"Are you sure?" he asks me. 

"I couldn't think of anything more perfect," I respond. 

He kisses me again, and he makes love to me like we never stopped.