Chapter 32

"Please don't do this," I say, grabbing onto Chloe. I pull her behind me, and I catch a glimpse at Addison. Her eyes are wide, and she's frozen in fear. "Think of your baby," I say, looking at her stomach, which is about as big as mine. 

Lucy rolls her eyes. "Don't worry about my baby."

"How the hell are you going to take care of your baby if you're in jail?" I ask. 

Fiona looks at me, shooting daggers my way. Her eyes make their way down to my stomach, and then she looks at Chloe. "Aren't we lucky?" Fiona asks, looking at Lucy. "The little girl is here with her."

My body stiffens, and I watch as Ezra tenses.  "You won't touch her," he says. 

Fiona laughs, sounding like a cackling witch. "I don't think you get any say in this," she smirks, looking at the gun in her sister's hand. 

The bell's ring is long gone, and I'm hopeful that no one showing up to Ezra's class means that someone, if not everyone, knows what is going on. 

"What's your endgame here?" Ezra asks Lucy. "You don't even want to be with me, so why are you doing this?"

I glance at Addison who is slowly inching closer to us. 

"Stop moving," Lucy says, holding the gun up and pointing it at Addison. 

"Woah," I say. I slowly stick my hand up, inching in front of her, while still holding Chloe behind me. "She has nothing to do with this. Don't hurt her. Please, let her go."

"Who is she?" Fiona asks. 

"She's just one of my students," Ezra says. "Please."

Fiona and Lucy step aside, but she keeps the gun pointed at us. "Go," Fiona says to Addison, cocking her head to the door. 

"Let her take Chloe," Ezra says. "I'm begging you."

Fiona looks from me to Chloe. "And why should I?"

"She's an innocent little girl," Ezra says. "Like Addison, she has absolutely nothing to do with this."          

Fiona looks at Chloe. "She's half of the reason Ricky and I never made it."

I look at Chloe, and her eyes are wide and she's breathing a little fast. I put my hand slowly on her head and run circles through her hair, hoping it will calm her down. I don't even know what's going through her young mind, but she hasn't said a word, which is starting to scare me just a little. 

"I'm the reason. Not her," I say. "If you want to hurt someone, it's me. Please, don't hurt my baby."

Fiona rolls her eyes. "I don't give a shit about either of you."

"You care about Ricky, right?" I ask. "If you do, then hurting her would also hurt him deeply. I don't think you want to do that to him."

Fiona stares at Chloe for a few seconds, but it feels more like an eternity. Her eyes roam from Chloe back to me. "Fine, let the child go."

I crouch down so I'm face to face with Chloe. "Chloe, listen to me very carefully. You're going to go with Addison, and she's going to take you to daddy." I put my hand on her cheek, rubbing slowly.

Chloe's eyes get wide. "I don't want to leave you, mommy," she says. "I'm scared." A tiny tear rolls down her cheek. 

I wipe her cheek. My eyes water, but I sniff away the tears. "I'll be ok. I need you to go with daddy, ok? He'll make you feel better. I love you so much." I wrap my arms around her and kiss her cheek. I turn to face Addison. "Take her, and find someone immediately. Ask for Coach Johnson, and don't stop until Chloe is safe with him."