Chapter 23

"You're wrong," I tell Ezra. 

I stand up, and I move in front of him.

"Am I though?"

"Yes," I tell him.

I look down because I don't want to see the look he's giving me. 

"I'm not buying your story. First, it was Luke. Now, you claim it's Andy."

"What do you want from me?" I ask him.

"I want you to tell me the truth."

"I have," I say, my eyebrows bunching together.

I stand up to go back inside, but Ezra's hand latches around my wrist.

"I know I'm not insane," Ezra says, his voice quavering a little. 

I look into his eyes, and I don't see the same life that I once saw before. I grab his hands with mine, and he looks up at me.

"Look, there's just so much going on, alright? You need to be home with Lucy," I tell him.

"Why do you always push me away? You were my best friend," Ezra frowns.

"That was then. This is now," I say coldly. 

Ezra sighs, burying his face in his hands. 

"I wish things were different," I frown.

"They can be," he says, looking up at me.

He puts a hand on my cheek, and his finger strokes it lightly. His eyes pierce mine, and I have to look away before he locks me in.

"You should go," I say, swallowing the lump in my throat.

Ezra's mouth opens, but before he can speak, we are interrupted by the sound of my front door opening. Andy steps out, his eyes red and heavy, and he holds back a yawn.

"Everything alright?" Andy asks. 

I smile, thankful that even though I'm alright, he's still concerned.

"Of course," Ezra snaps, and my eyes widen. "You're everywhere."

Ezra's always so sweet, so hearing him snap at Andy is shocking to me.

"Jo?" Andy asks, turning his attention to me.

I give Andy a small nod, and he returns my look with a sympathetic smile before turning back around.

"Just shout if you need anything," Andy says, and I see Ezra glare at the back of his head.

Once Andy's back inside, my focus back on Ezra.

"That was incredibly rude," I scold him.  

"He's always butting in," Ezra says, kicking a rock on the ground.

"He was just checking on me," I defend Andy, the scowl on my face becoming more apparent.

"You hardly know this guy, and you're already defending him?" Ezra says, and I catch a glimpse of hurt flash in his eyes, but it's quickly replaced by anger. "Not to mention the fact that he was with your best friend first."

"You're one to talk about best friends. Ricky was yours, but you still went after me!"

"I knew you way better than you even know this guy," Ezra fights back.

"Andy's been there for me these last few months. Hell, he's taken good care of me."

"Exactly!" Ezra yells, and I flinch at the tone of his voice. "When you miscarried, you shut me out. You wouldn't let me take care of you! Now some guy comes along that you hardly know, and he gets to do everything that I wish I could do every day," Ezra says, his voice shifting from angry to pleading.