Chapter 24

As my car pulls into Paige's driveway the next day, my hands are shaking, and I feel like I'm going to vomit. 

I put a hand over my stomach, and the little peanut inside me brings me comfort. 

"Are you sure you're alright with this?" I ask Clay, who's sitting beside me in the passenger seat.

"I've avoided it long enough," he says. "It's time for her to know."

Clay sighs, and I see his foot tapping repeatedly. I put my hand on his arm.

"Look, she may be a little upset at first, but she'll come around. She's mentioned wanting her dad around to me numerous times," I smile, trying to encourage him. 

Clay takes out his wallet, pulling out a picture of a little girl in the hospital, and baby blue elephant by her side.

"We thought she was going to be a boy. I bought this the day I found out I was going to be a dad," Clay chuckles. 

I swipe the picture from Clay. "Paige still has that elephant. She knows it was from her dad, so she has never been able to part with it," I say, smiling at the number of times I've seen Paige with that thing.

I hand Clay his picture back, and he tucks it back into his wallet. We get out of my car, and we both nervously make our way to Paige's door. 

I ring the doorbell, and Clay sways side to side.

"Everything will work out," I say, not sure who I'm trying to convince.

"You think so?" Clay asks.

"Yes," I say, even though I'm not so sure of my answer.

Paige opens up the door, but when she sees us, she starts to close it.

"Paige, please wait!" I say, holding the door so she can't close it on us.

"What do you want, Jo?" Paige asks.

"I want to explain everything," I plead with her.

Paige looks over at Clay.

"Why is Clay here?" she asks.

"We have some things we need to tell you," Clay speaks up, clearing his throat.

"You've got ten minutes," Paige says, opening the door to let us inside.

Clay and I walk to her couch. We sit on one side, while Paige stares at us from the other.

"Do you want to start?" I ask Clay.

He nods, pulling his wallet out again.

"You've heard me talk about looking for my long lost daughter before, right?" Clay asks, looking into the matching eyes of Paige.

Seeing them this close, I see the similarities between the two. Their eyes match, along with their hair. They both have the same pointy nose.

"Yes," Paige says, and she sounds a little confused, but rightfully so. 

Clay takes the picture out of his wallet. 

"This is the only picture I've had of her for years. I finally found her though," Clay says, handing the picture to Paige.

"You found her? Congratulations!" Paige smiles, looking down at the picture. I see her eyes move to the elephant, and I know wheels are turning in her head. "I had this same blue elephant as a baby. In fact, I still have it," Paige says.

"I know you did, because-" Clay starts, but he loses his control, his nervousness taking over. 

I put a comforting hand on his shoulder, and he gives me a small nod.