Chapter 31

"Do you have to go?" I frown, staring at Ezra across the room. 

He walks over to the bed, and he kneels beside me. "Unfortunately, yes. Do you want to swing by for lunch?"

I stretch my arms out, and I let out a big yawn. "I would love to." I stand up, putting my slippers on. "I should probably get the kiddos up and ready."

Ezra kisses my cheek. "Have fun with that."

I raise my eyebrows at him. "You better get used to it when peanut comes," I laugh. 

I walk Ezra to the door, and I lean against the frame. I smile, waving softly as his truck leaves the yard. I shut the door slowly and I walk into Leon and Chloe's room. 

"Rise and shine kiddos!" I say, flipping their lights on. 

Chloe groans, pulling the covers over her eyes. I laugh. 

"Good morning, mommy," Leon says, sitting up. He raises his arms up, stretching. 

I walk over to him and give him a hug. "How did you sleep?" I ask. 

"Fine," he says. He gets out of bed and walks to his dresser. "Can I wear my t-rex shirt today?" He pulls it out of his drawer. 

"Yes, but you'll need a jacket to go over it," I tell him. 

I strip his pajamas off his body, and I help him get dressed. I walk to Chloe's bed, and I pull her covers down. "Chloe," I say gently. "It's time to get up."

Her eyes slowly open, and she stares at me. "I don't feel good," she says, and I hear how hoarse her throat is. 

"What hurts?" I ask. 

She points to her throat. "Here," she says. She coughs a little. 

"I guess we should take you to the doctor, huh?" I ask. 

"Can Andy see me?" she asks, weakly. 

"I can give him a call, but first, let's get you dressed," I say. 

I help Chloe get dressed, and the kids follow me into the kitchen. I make them a quick breakfast before stepping out onto the back porch. I pick up my phone and dial Andy's number. 

"Hello, lovely. Long time no talk," he chuckles as he answers. "How's the baby boy doing?"

"He's fine," I smile. "It's actually Chloe I'm calling about. She's sick, and I need to take her to the doctor. She's requested you though. I know you don't normally see children, but-"

"Bring her in. I can see her in an hour," Andy says. 

"You're the best," I tell him. 

I hang up the phone, and I walk back inside. "Let's get you to school, Leon."

"What about Chloe?" Leon asks. 

"I'm taking her to the doctor after I drop you off," I say. 

I grab Leon's backpack, and they follow me to the car. I load them up, and I get in the front seat. I start the car, and the tires roll against the gravel as I pull out of the driveway. 

"I'm tired," Chloe says from the back. Her voice is still scratchy, but she sounds a tad better. 

"Take a nap, baby," I tell her, and she closes her eyes. 

After I drop Leon off, I head with a sleeping Chloe to the doctor's office. Once we check-in, the wait in the waiting room is short before we're being called back and put into a room.  

"Where's Andy?" Chloe asks as she fiddles with the paper that's on the patient's seat. 

"He's coming," I say, and her face lights up when we hear a knock on the door.