Chapter 6: A Big Oof

Elijah sat at home, not in a good mood. His head rolled back, leaning against the couch.

"My luck, my luck." he whispered. His head returned to its previous position, and he took out the shiny business card nested in his pocket. His thumb slowly rubbed over it. He pondered, and thought of all the things he should've said, done, and thought.

"Mad Mechanics," it read. "Andrew Zarkson," smaller print read underneath. Such a cheesy name.

"Andrew Zarkson," Elijah sat up and shook his head. "What a guy." Sarcasm. His specialty. He stood and crumpled up the business card, and they were definitely made at a cheap factory owned by a cheap Company who used cheap materials. Not too hard to crumple up, though Elijah has experience with crumpling up papers. He walked to the trash can and hit it. The force opened the lid, pushing it down. "That's what I think."

He quickly dropped the card in there and went back to the couch to sit. His head fell back again and he closed his eyes. Then all of the sudden, someone started coming downstairs. Alex appeared by the couch.

"What's up?" Alex asked, noticing the very unhappy expression on his face. Furrowed eyebrows and the rest scrunched up. He sat next to him on the couch and looked at him.

Elijah opened his eyes and turned his head to the secret sulker, although Alex had every right to be upset. "Some guy named Andrew Zarkson ripped me off. I paid him 400 bucks and he gave me a car that wasn't mine. It was also in worse shape than mine was. It broke down on the way home, and Ethan and Ash had to come pick Shay and I up to bring us home."

"400 buckaroos?"

"YES ALEX, what don't you GET?!"

"Sorry." Alex turned to face the TV in front of him, his elbow nearest to Elijah rested on the back pillows and his hand linked to his other hand.

Elijah rested his forearms on his knees and looked at his hands. Then he sighed. "400."

Then Alex's eyes lit up. He snapped his fingers and pointed at Elijah. "There was a waitress at the cafe named Toluwase Zarkson. She told me why she was working there. She was making money for her brother, Andrew. Must've been Andrew Zarkson."

"Oh, so this is your fault?" asked Elijah. He looked at him and threw his arm up, then letting it fly back down to his leg. It really made no sense why he said that.

"What?! How does this connect to me?" Alex asked, turning his whole body to face him, arms and hands out.

"I don't know. You delivered this information." Elijah stood up and went to the kitchen.

"So WHAT? You yelled at me for no REASON!" Alex followed and was clearly angry.

Elijah grabbed an apple out of the fruit bowl and took a bite. He leaned against the counter and just looked at Alex. Then shrugged.

Alex was annoyed. His mouth opened. He stuttered. "I-I'm leaving. People just don't know how to be kind." He grabbed his coat and slid on his sneakers, even though sneakers aren't a very slide-able shoe. He grabbed the cold handle, pushed it down, and pulled opened the door.

"I can be nice," Elijah added, without a care.

"I don't believe you." He looked straight at Elijah. "No one is being nice. And I'm done with it." He stepped out and slammed the door shut.

Elijah realized what he had done. He always does, a millisecond too late. "What have I done? I should've been the one to ask if he was okay, not vice versa."

He went to the couch and curled up into a ball. His cheeks were immediately wet. Sticky with tears. The apple rolled out of his grip, down the cushion and on the floor with a thud. He sniffled. He was trying to remember if Shay was home. She couldn't see him like this; he'd been nervous. He couldn't tell her. He wouldn't dare. Not that he didn't like her. He loved her. He really did.

She doesn't deserve to have to deal with my problems, he thought.

His eyes closed. He felt like he could fall asleep, right then and there. The quiet room stayed quiet, and all you could hear was his cry and sniffles. Whenever he opened his eyes, the evening light coming through the blinds was the only thing he could see through the tears. Like when you go swimming and look back up at the water under the surface, seeing the sunlight while any other features were blurred.

He wondered what the point was of staying there when he could get tissues. And wipe his eyes. And be able to see his surroundings. And maybe even eat an apple.

Happy reading !!!!

You may not have noticed, but the past few chapters have had about 100-200 words less. It was harder to add to them.

happy reading 📖♥️