Chapter 12: We Both Did Wrong

When Alex finished recording, he called up Mark.

"Hey, I'm done recording."

"Alright. Why didn't you just text?"

"I don't know. I just wanted to call,"

Mark paused. Too bad smiles can't be heard over the phone.

"I'm coming over," Alex filled the blankness that was the phone call.

"Alright. See ya."

"See ya." He hung up. Then he realized he can't drive.

Elijah had a bike.... he wouldn't mind, would he?

:Mark's House:

Once Alex finished the journey to Mark's house, he stood the bike up on the rusty kickstand. He couldn't afford to even scratch the thing; Elijah would be very furious.

He slowly stepped up the small staircase, taking it all in. The air was cool, the sky dark with so many twinkling stars. It was quiet, besides the occasional cricket chirp. The long grass tickled Alex's ankles and feet with small drops of water. He instantly regretted wearing sandals.

Still unable to tell if he was nervous or excited for whatever was behind the door, he knocked on it. But why either? He was just visiting someone. There really was nothing odd to be feeling.

When Mark opened the door, his smile was brighter than any of the stars in the night sky ever would be. The strangers eyes still blue, hair still blonde. What a wonderful combination.

"Hey, come on in." His soft voice soothed the whatever-feeling-he-was-feeling faster and better than anything else ever had.

Alex took a step inside.

Mark closed the door behind him.

"Is there a reason you wanted me over?" He asked, a bit quieter than usual, his face a light pink.

"I need help."

Alex had a weird suspicion that wasn't the actual reason. "With?"

Mark walked to his couch, Alex following. They both sat down. "YouTube video ideas." He put the laptop next to him on his lap.

"What type of videos do you make?"

"Reactions, I guess."

"I make gaming videos, I'm not very smart in that department. I'm sorry."

Mark put the laptop down next to him and stood up. "Just try."

"I can't help you Mark, I'm sorry. I have trouble coming up with ideas myself." (Sorry. Not supposed to be a diss towards Alex)

"Then BECOME good at it!" Alex was surprised to hear him yell. He jumped back a little at the sudden raise in his voice.

"I don't know how." Alex stood up.

"Then LEARN." Alex didn't know if this sounded louder because it was, or because Mark's angry face was now only inches away from Alex's slightly scared expression. But inside, he was much more terrified.

Alex did his best to keep his calm. He gathered all his confidence. "Why do you have to be so rude? What is your problem?" Even with the small whisper, Mark could still feel his cold breath.

"LEAVE." Mark pointed to the door, taking a small step back. But they were still very close.

"What do you WANT from me? What do you want me to do?" He yelled.

Mark said nothing.

"What do you-"

"Kiss me." Mark interrupted. They were both quiet and blushing.

Alex said nothing.

"A-Are you leaving or no?" Mark asked, actually quiet. He could now feel the awkwardness in the air. The slight tension.

And, without thinking, Alex took one step towards Mark in a flash. Then kissed him.

Mark was surprised. He thought Alex would just leave and they'd never speak again.

But he put a hand on the side of Alex's face, and one on his waist, pulling him closer.

It was nothing either of them have felt before. Alex actually enjoyed this one short moment. And so did Mark, but neither of them would've admitted it. It was like taking the best feeling ever and multiplying it by numbers higher than you can count.

There's really no other way to describe it, besides the-greatest-kiss-ever. Besides contact between two people who were clearly made for each other.

It was worth it, even to smash an expensive phone.

But Alex didn't WANT to pull away.

...

Alex pulled away. "Are you happy?" It sounded a little bit.. rude. Well, not intentionally; but you could tell he was hurt.

Silence.

"Is that what you wanted?" This was louder, and he took a step back. His voice cracked.

Again, silence.

The lump in his throat grew bigger. He tried swallowing it, but it was too big, and a tear started down his face. He started walking backwards, then turned around and walked out.

Alex used Elijah's bike to go home. He returned it quietly and went to bed to cry himself to sleep.

:Mark's House:

When Alex had walked out, when Mark heard the door close, he collapsed on the couch. The silence tore him apart from the inside-out.

"What have I done?" He asked the empty room.

Mark spent the next hour or two sulking on that exact couch.

But later in the evening did he realize it was sane to apologize.