Chapter 13: Newer Beginnings

"Hey, lady," called an old, big guy as he chewed his food, "can I getta glass a water? Or should I get a man to do the job for ya?" He chuckled, his friends laughing along. His voice filled the room, loud and kind of intimidating. But not for Toluwase.

Toluwase rolled her eyes at his rudeness and went to fetch him some water.

"Here ya go, sir," she set the glass in front of him.

He drank it up so fast. "Thanks,"

Toluwase walked to the counter, the immature men at the table behind her commenting on her looks. They pointed and laughed with horrible skills of keeping it quiet. Their comments weren't exactly rude, but definitely not nice.

Once she got into the safety of the kitchen, seeing Mel comforted her in a way she questioned.

"My god, those immature little beings! I swear, some men act like women are just toys!" Toluwase slumped onto the free end of the table that sat in the middle of the kitchen, stretching her arms, hiding her face.

"Sorry to hear that, Toluwase, but you got work to do," Mel patted the back of her head.

She glared at him. "I'm not surprised you don't care. And the restaurant is empty, besides the table of slobs."

"Don't talk about my valuable customers like that!" Mel whisper-shouted.

"Oh, yeah? Don't you mean the 'valuable' customers who could use a lesson on teachin' women right?"

Mel hesitated. "Touché,"

Toluwase groaned as Nial came up next to her, after giving the table their checks. "I-I'm sorry about those customers, Toluwase. You didn't deserve that," she put a hand on her back, trying to make her feel better.

They all watched as the group of men got up, Nial rushing to collect the money, and rushing back with a look of disappointment.

"No tip," she sighed.

Toluwase took a dollar in change out of her pocket. "Here ya go. Someone around here needs validation," she looked out the window, hoping the group would never return.

"Thanks, I appreciate it!" Nial jumped happily.

Toluwase smiled, looking at Nial happily. "Of course, anytime."

"Alright, stop talkin' to your girlfriend and back to work, Toluwase,"

Nial's smile grew bigger at Mel's assumption; until she realized it was a joke.

"It's always me, isn't it?" Toluwase murmured to herself as she walked out of the kitchen, prepared for work.

Nial was too busy fantasizing, so Mel decided she could have a five minute break.

What a shift.

:A Zoo But An Hour Away:

"Is this the zoo?" Albert asked as they neared the entrance of a zoo, turning to Maryssa for consent.

"Yep," she nodded, recognizing a sign.

As they pulled into the parking lot, Sammy jumped around in the back seat like a little kid who had no self control.

"Can you please tell him to be quiet? I'm getting a headache," Albert asked, scratching his head with a free hand.

"Sammy," Maryssa got his attention, "quiet!"

Sammy calmed down. "I was only excited."

"It's okay to be excited, but you're 19- you should have some self control." she pointed out.

"Mom always said I never grew up," he whispered to himself as he sat back, then shooed all other thoughts away. "I just want to see animals!"

"Mom was right," Maryssa sat back in her seat.

"We're here," Albert responded sing-songy.

Once they were parked and in the zoo, Sammy was always a few yards ahead, spewing out different things and facts about various animals.

"Here are the elephants," Albert smiled.

"Practically the only reason we came here!" Maryssa beamed.

"He's so extroverted," Albert whispered to Maryssa, putting a hand in the small of her back as they watched Sammy spark up a quick conversation with someone selling animal food to feed the animals. He moved on quickly, enjoying every second of his stay.

She whispered back, "I agree."

Sammy then came back through the crowd to where Albert and Maryssa were. "I'll meet you at the exit at 7, alright?" he offered.

"What are you going to do?" Maryssa asked.

"See the animals! No offense, but you two are kinda slow."

Albert smiled. "Make sure you're back in time."

"Deal!"

Sammy slipped through the crowd, saw the animals but still bored. So he decided to visit his favorite animal there- the giraffes.

He went up to the fence, putting his hands on it. The beautiful giraffe inside was munching leaves on the top of a tree. He started up at it, when all of the sudden, it leaned down to him. Well, next to him. He turned his head to see a black haired guy put his hand through the fence to feed the giraffe.

"Hi! I'm Sammy," Sammy put his hand out to the guy.

He only flinched and turned his head to see Sammy. "H-hello, Sammy, I'm Jake."

"Nice to meet you, Jake," Sammy smiled. He's cute, Sammy thought. But I doubt he's gay, Sammy wondered until he noticed a little gay pride rainbow on his shirt. His smile grew. "You like giraffes?"

"I love them, they're such gentle creatures," Jake responded, still a bit uncomfortable.

Sammy knew when he was talking to someone very introverted, so he kept his tone down. "They are truly beautiful," Sammy glanced back up at the giraffe who returned to munching on leaves. "Hey, Jake,"

"Yeah?"

"Can I get your number?"

"S-sure," Jake responded, a bit timid.

He handed Jake his phone opened to a new contact, and Jake typed his number in. "I'll text you 'giraffes' so you know it's me,"

"Okay," Jake replied with a broad smile.

"Don't be scared," Sammy whispered to Jake as he took his hand and squeezed it.

Jake looked up at him.

"Wanna look at more animals with me?!" Sammy hoped Jake would accept his offer.

"I'd love to," Jake added, with a hint of confidence.

Sammy chuckled. "Beautiful," they started walking, then he mumbled, "Just like you."

Jake looked up. They both blushed and tried to, but failed, to hide their smiles.

I'm proud of both of us, Sammy thought.

How amazing.