Chapter 14: It's Time I Tell You

:Alex's Room:

Alex woke up in the middle of the night with a yawn, covered in cold sweat. He didn't know if he woke up from stress or a nightmare; but the wonder stopped when his phone dinged.

He stretched his arm to his phone, and rubbed his eye. Trying to get the sleep out, he realized it was 2am. Who would text him at 2am? Or 2pm, even, for that matter?

He opened the text.

It was from Mark.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you," it read. "You didn't deserve that."

He had read it; multiple times. Only after a few times had his brain woken up enough to comprehend the English in front of his tired eyes.

He sat up and dropped the phone on his bed.

It was more awake than he was.

By a lot.

Alex curled into a ball and sat by his pillow. He wrapped his cold, bare arms around his knees. He tried keeping his eyes open, but they were as heavy as weights. Even as they were closed, he was awake enough to be aware of his surroundings.

And he waited.

But he didn't know what for.

:Mark's House:

His text was read.

Alex had read the text.

He was there.

He had noticed the text and taken time to read it.

But he.. he didn't respond.

Mark's heart skipped a beat.

Without thinking, he ran down the stairs and slipped on a pair of sandals. His socks weren't keeping him from wearing them, he wouldn't let that happen.

He grabbed the keys on the counter, creating a sound against the marble.

He knew the way to Alex's house; the cafe was within walking distance and he'd seen the roads and streets.

So that was fairly simple.

But when Mark opened the door, which was surprisingly unlocked, he remembered it'd be smart to keep quiet. So he tiptoed to the stairs and was on his way up.

He needed to be inaudible because the people sleeping in the house would want to know who he is- but mainly because they'd want to know why he looked like he had slept in his day clothes.

Which, to be fair, he had that night.

It was easy to find Alex's room, because it was the only one that didn't have quiet snores emanating from it.

Grabbed the handle, and-

Locked.

Darn it.

Back downstairs.

He searched for something to use, anything, to unlock this door.

There was a shiny little paper clip, laying on the table.

It'd have to do.

So he took the tiny piece of steel up the stairs and to his door.

He started to practically lock-pick the thing.

Mark tried to remember what his father had taught him about lock picking. And then he asked himself why his father taught him such things.

Once it opened, he saw Alex on his bed.

Alex wasn't even relatively scared after a figure in the pitch-black at 2am snuck into his room.

Mark moved fast in the dark. It was only a matter of seconds before his lips were on Alex's. He kissed back, and Mark didn't entirely expect it. Neither of them realized how much this small amount of contact was needed.

Mark took his hand, Alex's cheeks turning a light shade of red.

He whispered under his breath, "You're so cute,"

He gave Alex another kiss, and felt his tears on his own cheeks.

"What's wrong?" Mark asked, squeezing his hand. He brought him closer and made sure he felt safe.

"E-Everything hasn't been great lately. I've woken up unhappy, gone to bed unhappy. Eaten unhappy, recorded unhappy. Everything so sad. I felt so alone. Useless. Like no one cared. And I didn't know what to do. I hated it and didn't know why it ever had to be like that. I felt lost. And... you make it better, just by existing," Alex replied, quietly.

Mark brought him in for a hug and squeezed him tight. He needed Alex to know how he felt.

When the hug broke, he whispered, "I never knew you were... you never came off as.. lost. I-I never thought you were lost."

Alex answered through tears, "Neither did I."

"Well," Mark continued, "I'm here for you."

"Thank you for making me feel so much better," He added. "I've never had support like this."

"Anything for you," Mark smiled. It was a very heartwarming smile.

Then it faded.

"I-I'm sorry. I'm sorry I yelled at you. You didn't deserve that and I wish I didn't do it.." he sighed. "I have anger issues. And I lose a lot of friends because of it."

"It's okay. I did something wrong, too. I'm sorry for ye-"

"You did nothing wrong," Mark interrupted. "It was all me."

"You.. sure?"

Mark nodded.

There was a moment of silence before Alex whispered, "Well, I guess the secret is out now."

Mark was a bit confused, wondering what he meant. "What secret?"

Alex looked up at him, and with an even quieter tone, said, "I'm gay."

Mark smiled. He kissed Alex on his forehead and gave him another loving hug. He whispered, "I like you, Alex."

Then he got nervous, not thinking he'd get this far.

"I like you, too," Alex whispered back. He closed his eyes and thanked everything for the past 20 minutes of his life.

There wasn't a doubt these two were made for each other.

"Will you please stay the night?" Alex asked quietly, sleep returning.

"Of course," Mark whispered. He gave him another kiss on the forehead and let him lay down to rest.

Though Mark was still wearing clothes from the previous day, he just took off his socks and decided to call it a night.

"Goodnight," Mark murmured, wrapping an arm around Alex's waist.

But he didn't answer.

He was asleep. Fast asleep.

Mark just smiled while he drifted off, content and very grateful.

Everyone else in the house had no idea there was someone... sleeping in the same room and in the same bed with someone of their own gender. Sleeping with someone they thought they knew, but really, they barely knew at all.