Chapter 9: Questioning

Jordan whipped out her phone the second the door closed. The second she felt the cold air on her face. She used a "Find Friends" app to find his location. She was relieved to find he had gone to the cafe he loves. She never really understood why the cafe was important to him, but she didn't care because it made him happy.

:Cafe:

Alex looked at his shoes. He missed a sorrowful expression Blondie made.

"I'm going to the bathroom." Blondie murmured, just enough for Alex to hear.

Alex looked up. He watched him walk to the bathroom. His cheeks warmed and he didn't look away until the bathroom door closed and the bell rang. He then looked at the door the sound came from. If he didn't hear the bell, his eyes would've lingered by the door, hoping to look away before Blondie returned.

"I've found you! Alex, are you okay?!" Jordan went and sat in Blondie's seat, and her worry shoved away the fact that the seat was warm from another body.

"Yes, I'm fine. I was just getting tea." He sipped the tea to show her it was true.

Jordan immediately calmed. She took a breath. "Good."

"Go home and rest. It's 9 o'clock. I'll be home soon."

"Alright. I'll call to tell Elijah and Shay you're okay and you'll be home soon."

Alex nodded with a smile in response.

"Bye, love you."

"Bye." He waved and the smile stayed on his face. She left and went outside to call Elijah so he knew as soon as possible. Then to go home and rest.

Alex took his last sip of tea and went to the counter to pay. He handed the dark haired lady a few dollars, and coins as a tip.

"Thank you, come again!"

"Thank YOU!"

She smiled and disappeared behind the counter, leaving just Alex in the front room.

When Blondie walked out, he went to Alex to shake his hand. And Alex willingly took it.

"Mark, I'm Mark. Was a pleasure to meet you." The smile on his face sparkled more than Alex could ever imagine. He tried to think of something else, when he realized he was probably staring too long. His face went warm as he looked down, and Mark let go of his hand. He was out fast and Alex needed a minute to process.

He looked at his hand. There was a paper there, laying under his thumb. He looked at Mark through big cafe windows, who was already walking down the street. He looked back at the paper. It read:

"Sorry I came off as rude. You're alright. Your hair is fine, by the way. Friends?" A phone number followed the note. Alex had to reread it a few times before taking it in. His heart beat through his chest and his ears had color. He looked out again. It was dark. The town was twinkling. The stars were twinkling. And so were Marks eyes, inside of Alex's thoughts.

He shook his head and brought himself back to reality.

"Go home, Alex." He whispered to himself as he quickly walked out, head down.

:Going Home:

Alex took the long way home. Even though the days were shortening, the air grew cold, he still went outside coatless. He thought of Mark and wondered when to text him. And more importantly; what to say.

He was happy, for once, happy. More happy talking to a random stranger who made fun of him than his girlfriend who loved him dearly. He wondered and questioned. He pondered and thought. What was he, exactly?

By the time Alex reached the house, it was 10. He felt tired as he walked up the stairs, trying not to wake anyone. Everyone home was home.

Wading through the dark, he yawned. Then up to his comfy bed. He even texted Mark.

:Textbox:

Alex: so why'd you give me your number?

:Out Of Textbox:

He told himself Mark was sleeping.

Likely true. Very likely.

So he fell asleep. Happy and peaceful.

Sorry, short chapter again :P

Also, is it called a Textbox or..?