Chapter 31

Hayley's POV:

Stepping outside, the chilling breeze hits my body, from head to toe. I pull on the ends of the sleeves of my jacket, masking my fingers in warmth. My brown-green eyes flicker onto the sun rising. It's just the beginning of a new day, and something bitter flutters in my veins. Not curiosity of what the day could bring, not patience thinning for Jackson to finish the pancakes. I don't know what this absence is, but whatever it may be, I can surely live without it. What a day it will be if my mind wasn't set on trying to find something missing, and I don't even know what that may be. The thought can cross my mind that this desolate space in my heart can never be filled, but then it occurs to me, again and again, when the baby arrives, that moment will be my everything. The instant filling, finally, becoming overwhelming.

Why did I do it? How was I reckless enough to get pregnant by Klaus? I figure at the time, I developed something for him. But now, all I feel is...

"Should I plate them for Elijah and Rebekah, too?"  Jackson asks from behind me, I turn to face him, grinning.

"Yes, I think. I don't know," He chuckles, turning to lead the way back into the Mikaelson home and into the kitchen. "Sorry I just have some things on my mind," I spot the plate topped with three pancakes. My cravings urge for a fourth. Pregnancy. I shake my head, dismissing my inner thoughts away and smirk. "You buttered the middle pancake only, just how I like it," Placing my buttery finger in my mouth, I take a seat.

"Well I've been here long enough. Just up until you control your blood thirst." He takes a seat across from me.

"Right, because you're leaving after I'm 'better'..." I trail, and his dark eyes flicker up to meet my own. But he doesn't say anything, as if somehow we communicate with our eyes only. And this isn't the first time that's occurred.

He clears his throat, gently piercing the butter knife into the pancakes plastered in front of him. Then, I watch him grin, shaking his head before I begin to dig in.

--

"I've been thinking," I say lowly to Rebekah as she shuffles around the books on the shelf.

She turns her full attention onto me when noticing that I haven't continued my sentence within moments passed.

"Go on." She says and I proceed, gathering a heavy intake of breath.

"Jack brought something up earlier," I add, just before she instantly drops the book that was once in her hands. She watches me with steady eyes, a quick flash of worry shows within her light blue irises, but maybe it was another emotion.

"What did he say?"

"He brought up my bloodlust, and how he's taking off when I gain my self control again. And I guess for a moment, I forgot what that bloodlust felt like. Of course I still have my cravings here and then, but what I'm saying is that I haven't in so long."

The blue eyed Mikaelson stares at me with furrowed brows, "And you're saying it's over, the bloodlust?"

I clear my throat, "Yes. It is."

She nods after a moment in return. "So, where does that lead our dear friend Jackson Kenner?"

Without a doubt, I shrug, "Wherever he belongs." Rebekah glances over at me a second, then fixating her gaze unto the ancient book she holds open. "You know my mother always said, that over and over, you would come across people. Whether that be a friend that you are in need of, a leader, an enemy, a partner. 9 out of 10 times that person will hold the key to your heart that they will eventually break, or the very dagger or steak that kills you. But when that person is a lover, you will not forget it, because they have the power to fix you. The passion, the need to protect one another, the consumption, you can never replace it. No matter what, you certainly will not leave that person behind when it comes to love." She continues, watching me.

"But I've come to disagree. I disagree with my mother, because when it comes to love, you will do anything in your power to keep that person safe, rather than yourself. Even if that can take such a reckoning sacrifice, it will be anything. You will not always stay by your lover's side, because in ways that only one may know, distance will be the very thing to mend you two together." She finishes, blinking away tears only threatening to unleash.

I can only think but one thing: who is she referring to?

"Can I ask you something?"

She cracks a kind smile, but it doesn't reach her eyes. "Anything."

"If you don't mind me asking, what did Damon do to get you such feelings?" I suppress my smile, that is, before she laughs and I chuckle along.

"I wasn't referring to Damon, love. Just a share of my mother's words and my own. Maybe even for you as well, if you... ever come to need it." She sends a smile before walking out her bedroom, but I know the smile wasn't genuine.

I bite my lip, deep in thought when Jack crosses my mind, and I remember what I have to tell him. Kicking my feet ahead of me down the grand stair case, I spot Jackson sitting in the den.

He jolts his gaze toward me and stands, "You'll never guess the recipe I just found,"

"Jack," I interject before he can go further in, but for the best. "I need to talk to you."

He squints his dark eyes, "Is it bad, should I sit?" He merely jokes and I roll my eyes, and sit on the couch instead of giving a more direct answer.

"When is the last time you've seen me sink my teeth into a blood bag and not being able to stop? When is the last time, I squatted down onto the hard kitchen floor just to hide behind the counter the bloody mess I've made?"

"It's been a while," He shrugs. "About a month." It takes moments before he seems to finally gather what I'm leading on.

"And this is you saying goodbye," He states more than asking, and I nod.

"More of a farewell, maybe. You never know, I could use the company." I crack a small smile. "But I'm done Jack, done with the uncontrollable bloodlust,"

I laugh lightly, "I'm better."

"I eventually gained the hope," he grins, I playfully nudge his arm, "Just don't forget that camper in the woods, it'd make a great silent place when you need the peace." He pauses, "But I won't forget it, everything we did. The jokes, the laughter, the cooking, it was nice."

The two of us exchange smiles, and he stands to head to the front door, I follow him.

"Call whenever, or don't." I fake an offended expression and he shakes his head. "I didn't mean it like that. I know you have someone that cares about you," he pauses, "Elijah and Rebekah... me included. And friends," shaking his head once more, he smirks, "Forgive me, this is a terrible goodbye." I grin.

"It's alright, Jack, you're forgiven. Just end with goodbye." I shrug just before I think my smile begins to fade.

He pulls open the front door and steps outside, then turning to face me.

"Goodbye, Hayley." The porch light reflects on the familiar pair of dark of eyes across from me.

"Goodbye, Jack." I send a small smile before his back turns, the moon shining on his broad shoulders when he walks off, I shut the door.

Standing there, it's quiet.

I clear my throat, and head upstairs, in desperate need of rest.

---

I know it has been FOREVER, I'm sorry

If you forgive me vote!

<3

Vote. Comment. Share.

xx