Chapter 33

Hayley's POV:

Present

"You backstabbing piece of-" I stop myself, feeling nothing but the blood boiling in my veins as I watch Elijah stand tensely, Rebekah standing next to him, her icy blue eyes watching me with shock, worry and despair.

"You compelled me?! WHY?" I shove Elijah harshly, the three of us breathing in the tension filling the den. "That wasn't your call! You had no right to do what you did!!" I exclaim, anger and rage pulsing throughout my body.

"Hayley, love. It wasn't Elijah's fault, you were heart broken-"

Rebekah immediately purses her lips the second my brown-green eyes dart at her.

"YOU TOLD ME TO FORGET ABOUT HIM. WHY, ELIJAH?" I scream, charging toward Elijah, he steps back and bumps into the wall behind him, and for a moment I spot a flicker of fright in his eyes.

Throwing for a punch and targeting any piece of Elijah, a firm and strong grip stops my fist- just inches away from his clenched jaw.

I peel my glare in the direction of Rebekah, and she pushes my fist back toward the rest of me before unleashing her hold. "My brother had a reason for his doing,"

"His wrong doing!" I interject angrily, my eyes flicker unto him as he stands wearing his suit, cautiously still against the wall.

"You ached and ached- for days, Hayley! We had to do something! For bloody crying out loud you even went on a bloodthirsty downward spiral! I hope you can understand why he was so smart to compel you." Rebekah declares.

I could've found a way to cope, Rebekah!! Actually, I did. I had you, Elijah, Jackson. But you..." My eyes target Elijah, "you compelled me. I didn't know you were the kind to stab me in the back." I plaster a look of betrayal, his face softens.

I take a smooth intake of breath, "I loved him, Elijah. You took that away." Clenching my jaw, the anger pulses again. "And I'm going to make you regret that." I deadpan, warn, promise, whatever he gathers from it.

There's too much running through my mind right now, the feeling of rage, mixed with betrayal, not wanting to believe any of it- it's all too overwhelming.

I pace toward Elijah, him having no room to back up. "Undo it. Take away the compulsion. Now." I warn, hearing him swallow while Rebekah is standing behind me.

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa, I wasn't even gone for a week and I missed something, care to catch me up to speed?" The all too familiar voice sounds behind my back, as Rebekah and I turn to see tall dark and pesky, Damon Salvatore standing with his hands raised in defense.

24 hours ago

An exasperated sigh escapes from my lips as I lay on my bed in wonder. I can't ask Rebekah what's happening that I don't know about because she's hiding it too. As for the noble Mikaelson probably is as well. After Camille left, I gathered something was up, and as my hormones constantly kick in over and over I can't just let it slip. I need to know.

And as for now, in this very moment, I can only think of one person.

He helped with my spiral, perhaps, just maybe, he'll have something on this.

-

After a quick phone call, there's a crackling sound by my window before I quietly rush toward it. Opening the long curtains, I spot just who I expected. Jackson stands as he cracks a smile in a rather distant greeting. Placing one foot out the window, I kick my other in front of the rest of me, and hurry out the window, jumping out of the two story Mikaelson home and onto the ground.

Landing right next to him, I glance at the familiar dark irises.

"Jack, sorry about all of this. I just needed to know."

"You called me here, Hayley. When you said you needed help I couldn't be here any faster." His deep voice husky.

"Actually, I don't necessarily need help. Just information. You were here for the weeks Elijah and Rebekah needed you to be. And that tells me that you have to know something." I take a step closer to him, having his undivided attention as he watches me.

"Please, anything."

He parts his lips, "I'm sorry. I don't know anything. What did they do that has you so lost, Hayley?"

Taking a step away, my eyes narrow, "And yet I didn't mention that they did anything toward me. Listen, Jack." I grip his face, "tell me. If there's going to be a time that I would ask you for one thing in this world this would be it." I state sincerely, watching his face soften.

Once more, he seems like he wants to speak, but something's holding him back. His broad shoulders tense.

"Hayley,"

Thunder sounds and I jump. "Tell me, Jackson." I raise my voice.

"What if I told you they weren't hiding anything from you, what if I told you I'm not?"

"I wouldn't believe you." I quickly answer.

"Why is that?"

"Because I know my family! I know when something is up. I know when Elijah lies, and how he doesn't quite look me in the eyes when something isn't right. I know when Rebekah now shows regret when she talks to me. And earlier, Camille showing sympathy-"

Just like that, thunder sounds once more when the rain starts to pour and Jackson's lips capture me in a kiss, forbidding me to continue.

And then, I shove him, my palms punching against his chest.

"What- why- why did you do that?!" My voice roars. I shove him again. "Don't you ever," I yell, "do that again, Jack! You hear me?! Ever!" I glare at him and walk off quickly. I don't think I've ever had such mixed emotions. Anger, shock, disbelief, disappointment all mushed in one as I try to gain back my breath.

His hand wraps around my arm gently, but I continue stomping away as I go. But his grip strengthens once he calls me,

"Hayley!" He spins me around, my chest barely bumping into his.

"WHY DID YOU DO IT, JACK?"

"I- I don't know! You wouldn't stop talking! And all of it kept piling and piling," he responds quickly, frustratingly, "And I don't know...!?" He yells back.

He runs a frustrated hand through his hair, "Hayley, I didn't mean to."

I charge toward him in one step, and I don't think I've ever seen Jackson step back so quickly.

"I'm sorry," he says in a low tone, "I'll go. But you can't go back in and let-"

"What, let Elijah and Rebekah see me like this? Oh, you're afraid of what they might do to you when they find out. But you'll never know what fear truly is until I get a hold of you." I harshly whisper.

An unrecognizable expression reveals on Jack and his features, but I don't quite catch it. His shoulders relax and he swallows lightly.

"Hayley, you don't mean that," he tries leading but I raise my brow in challenge, his body tenses.

Just when I finally walk away, just feet away from the front door, Jack shouts in the rain.

"Fine. Because now I owe you... I'll tell you everything tomorrow morning." He says. Gathering back my attention, I turn to see him stood there, soaked by the rain still pouring.

I don't respond, but glance at him one last time before tomorrow gets here, because my veins are still coursing with fury, and I head quietly into the house, fighting every temptation to not slam the front door.

---

Whoa...

Vote. Comment. Share.

xx