An Answer

Barry stares out his office window. The sun had fallen and city had become alive, with street lights radiating off of the asphalt and the skyline reflecting across the clouds. Cars were lined at stop lights and people treaded on the sidewalks.

He looked at his phone, hoping a call or at least a text had come through. Nothing.

He had been waiting hours after he finished his work for the night. He dreaded returning home to Iris, in the fact that he had no update on Oliver's attendance status. She was in full panic mode about every small thing about Saturday, so telling her that he had not talked to Oliver could possibly send her into a frenzy.

A simple yes or no would suffice. Barry types, staring at the message for a second before deleting the characters and shutting his phone off. He tosses it on his desk in frustration.

Fucking hell, Ollie. Barry mumbles to himself. Just tell me yes or no.

His anger was not aimed at Oliver's incompetence as much as it was his lack of caring. When Barry first asked him to be in the wedding, he seemed as if he was apathetic to the idea.

"So Ollie," Barry asks, watching Oliver take a sip of a milkshake. "I've been meaning to ask you something."

Oliver sets the glass down, a soft smile comes across his lips. "Yeah?"

"Mine and Iris' wedding is coming up," Barry begins. "And I was hoping you'd stand beside me on the big day."

Oliver's smile fades into a questioning glare. "You mean as in your best man?"

"Well, yeah," Barry replies awkwardly. "You and Cisco were really the only two to come to mind."

Oliver looks down at the food in front of him. He picks up a French fry and twirls it with his fingers. He begins to speak with a solemn tone, his eyes looking towards the floor. "I'll do it."

"Great." Barry says with his eyes still set on Oliver, who hadn't looked up from the tray in front of him. He stares at him with concern.

"Is something wrong?"

"No, no," Oliver replies, his eyes moving towards Barry. They had fallen from the smile that existed only a moment ago. "It was just a long night."

Barry makes sure he had Oliver's full attention before speaking. "You can always come to me. You know that right?"

"Of course." Oliver says, his voice still filled with somber. "Being a vigilante can take a toll on you, you know?"

"I understand." Barry tells him empathetically.

"Nice to have people that do." Oliver tells Barry with a subtle smile, the sullen look still present. The two look at each other with soft smiles. Barry can't explain it but there is something in his eyes that makes him feel every emotion possible. Like he connected with him in every way imaginable. Almost as if their souls were connected.

Barry shakes off the feeling as the two finish their Big Belly Burger in silence.

Barry is awoken from the memory as he hears a vibration from his desk. He frantically picks up the phone, his heart feeling as if it has stopped. He reads the name on the screen. The world around him froze.

I'll be there. See you Friday.

A sense of relief came over Barry, yet another feeling of confusion and frustration followed. The lack of concern and consideration Oliver showed towards Barry about Saturday irked him. After days of calling and texting, checking on him and making sure he was still coming, the only response he had was a simple text message.