Adjustments

The monotoned sound of an alarm rang through Oliver's mind as he left his state of sleep. He allowed it to continue to blare. The sound wasn't bothering him— yet. He felt the heat from the man next to him radiate on his bare skin. He kept his eyes closed as he felt a shifting next to him.

"Ollie. . ." Barry mumbled groggily. "Can you shut that off?"

Oliver let out a weak moan before rolling over on his side to silence the clock. When he turned onto his back, he was met by Barry's smiling face laying on his pillow. His eyes were adjusting to the sunlight that beamed through the curtains. Oliver turned his head to his, giving Barry a meek smile. "Morning."

Barry brought his face to Oliver's, lightly pecking his lips against his with a grin. "Morning. You seem a lot more accepting of me being in your bed this time around."

"Come on now," Oliver scoffs. He grabs Barry's hand that rests next to him. "You know why I was hesitant."

Barry gently graces his hand across Oliver's cheek. "Now you don't have to be."

Oliver laughs softly and pulls Barry closer to him. They lay together, their bodies pressed up against one another. Both of them soaked up every emotion and every sentiment they felt, not wanting to leave the moment. Oliver rubs Barry's skin soothingly. "So what's next?"

Barry shifts, his chest facing the ceiling. He begins to fiddle with Oliver's fingers that are laid upon his shoulder. "We stay like this until you leave town tomorrow."

"I'm down with that," Oliver replies with a smug laugh. "But then what?"

Barry turns his head to Oliver. "What do you mean?"

Oliver sits up, resting his back along the headboard behind them. He releases himself from Barry's touch. "Are we going to try to make this work?"

"If that's what you want." Barry replies with a gentle smile causing Oliver to respond with a similar gesture. He opens his arms, motioning Oliver to join him in his position. He inches close to Barry, resting his head on his chest. Barry sets his arm on Oliver's shoulder. "I'll take that as a yes."

In that second, they decided that the risk was worth it. Actually, they both knew in their hearts that it was what they wanted. Oliver feared verbalizing it, thinking  of the possibility that Barry was not willing. He happened to be more than.

They spent the rest of the day in bed. Casually having conversations while laying with each other. Barry had to make calls about the wedding, to friends and family, to those working it. To Oliver, the unnerving tension was evident during these interactions. He could not help but feel guilty.

All the time and effort that had been put into the wedding had all been for nothing. Oliver meddled and influenced Barry's realization of his feelings, causing him to call off the entire thing. Oliver understood that everything happened for a reason.

But ultimately, he felt as if he had done what was right and what was best for the both of them. Barry made the decision he thought was the right one. It definitely was a hard pill to swallow but the bliss between the two of them made it all feel worth something.

Oliver left that weekend feeling a new sense of vitality. As if he had been given another reason to live. Another reason to put everything he had into his daily endeavors. The thought of Barry kept him running. It kept him smiling. He felt truly alive for the first time in ten years.

He was more efficient in the field as well as the office as he ever had been.

They spoke daily, often distracting each other from whatever tasks they had in front of them. Oliver found himself smiling even after phone calls were finished. Actually, he found himself smiling more often. He felt fuller. There was not this emptiness inside of him that completely consumed him.