Violent Crimes

For Barry, his relationships had always felt attainable. He and Iris, when they were together, worked closely at S.T.A.R Labs and interacted within the same social circle. His other significant others were a one second run away. Even before he had his powers, he could walk a couple of blocks to pick up a date for dinner. Oliver was different. Not only was he nearly 700 miles from Central City, the many lives an extremely busy life.

It had been a week since they had both seen each other. They spoke on the phone nightly while Oliver spent late nights at the office, finishing work that had been sitting on his desk for weeks. They spoke for hours. Sharing laughs and memories, both longing to be in each other's presence.

It was taking a toll on Barry emotionally. Not being able to go home to the one person he wanted to see was an overbearing pain than only got worse every time they sad goodbye. Not being able to ask Oliver to dinner on a last second desire was a kind of sensation he wished he didn't feel. There existed a different kind of want, a new sense of longing in his new relationship.

So Barry threw himself into his work, whether it be as a crime scene investigator or as the speedster saving people's lives. It gave him a distraction. An escape from the empty void he felt without Oliver there with him.

He was getting work done, which should have been consolation for Barry—but it wasn't. No matter how many criminals he ran into the back of a police car or how many case files he went through, or investigations he aided in, it never fufilled the null feeling in his heart that longed to be with Oliver.

"Well, hello there, Mr. Efficient." Iris greets Barry as he enters the cortex. She leaned up against the entrance, following Barry's pace as he slips his gloves off his hands. He had just turned in a group of near-muggers to the police department. It had been his third trip to the precinct, as the Flash, that afternoon.

He removed the cowl that was pulled over his head and let it rest on his back. He took a deep breath before sulking his head. "Wouldn't call it efficient when violent crime rates are skyrocketing."

"I know you and him are starting to get serious," Iris begins smugly. "But I beg of you. Don't start with the Oliver Queen, everything that is bad in the world is my fault, mentality."

"I'm not. . ." Barry begins, stopping as Iris gives him a look of disbelief. "I'm not as bad as him-" he freezes as he comprehends the words he said.

"That doesn't leave this room."

Iris smiles. "Felicity has said Oliver has been slightly less brooding lately. Wonder why. . ."

"Can we not talk about that?" Barry pleads softly, as he feels his cheeks get warm. His heart begins to sink slightly. The feeling of emptiness had returned.

"Are you alright?" Iris asks with concern.

Barry nods, pursing his lips together. "I'm fine." He lies through his teeth. "Can we just focus on These crimes are only getting worse."

"It's not like you are fighting meta humans, Bear." Iris assures him. "Most of these criminals are just men with guns and knives. You hardly have to flinch for them to be in the back of a police car."

Barry quickly changes into casual clothing, pulling out his cell phone as he begins to walk out of the cortex. He shakes his head sullenly. "It isn't that simple."

Four victims had died in the last week from assaults, whether it be from a stabbing or by bullet. All of these murders occurring minutes before Barry arrived on scene, he couldn't help but feel as if he could have been doing better. He could have done more.

Men with guns do not inflict fear onto Barry for his own safety. He can outrun a bullet. He can hear sense a knife being thrusted towards his side. Yet, he cannot see all that happens in the city. Sometimes insane humans with weaponry can be just as dangerous as an individual with various kinds of powers. He cannot protect the city from these people.