New Feelings

Leave.

One word. A sound that left Oliver's mouth with haste and bitterness. Even though it was just one syllable, it was a statement aimed at Barry. A statement of distrust, an expression of disdain. He did not want to be in Barry's presence. He didn't want him around. It put Barry's stomach in knots at the thought— the coldness in his voice, the pain in his tone.

Everything seemed as if it was okay. Neither of them had intentionally hurt the other. They had not had any sort of disagreement. This sporadic spite was new territory for the two of them.

Barry sat in his office, keeping his gaze fixed at the computer screen in front of him. He couldn't retain the information that was being presented to him via his email. His mind kept wondering to last night's confrontation.

"Barry!"

Startled, Barry jumps in his seat and spins his chair around to the entrance of his lab. His eyes are immediately met by a friendly smile. He sighs in relief.

"Felicity," Barry begins. He stands from his seat and walks over to the blonde to embrace her. "I had no idea you were coming so soon."

Felicity starts to talk as she pulls away from Barry. "I only called you about five times. The scare is on you."

"Sorry about that," Barry begins remorsefully. He awkwardly scratches the back of his head. "Just been. . . distracted." Felicity sets her belongings down and follows Barry back to his desk, taking his chair while he leans along the wall.

"You're getting married in two days. Distractions are forgiven."

Barry laughs nervously. "That's surprisingly not my biggest worry right now."

Felicity raises an eyebrow and starts to twiddle with a pencil laying on Barry's desktop. "Then what is?"

"Ollie," Barry begins. "Has he. ." Barry stops himself as he feels his voice soften. "Has he seemed off to you lately?"

"Off as in an absolute dick?" Felicity responds. "No, that's just who he is now."

"Did something happen with the two of you?" Barry asks, looking at Felicity inquisitively.

"No. Everything was going fine," she began. "Until he started blowing off nights in the field. . . That eventually became blowing off dates. I inevitably stopped seeing him all together."

"Was he drinking?" Barry questions intently.

Felicity's demeanor sunk. She gave him a look of confusion. "He has been heavily drinking since March, Barry. How have you not noticed?"

"I've hardly seen him."

"Then you need to talk to him." Her voice became serious, desperation seeping into her tone. "You might could get through to him."

"I don't think I'll be-" Felicity takes Barry's hands and clasps them between her own. Her eyes glare into his as if they were pleading for his help.

"I'm begging you. Talk to him."

Barry grows silent. He acknowledges Felicity's request with an assuring nod and a half-grin. She rubs his thigh gently before telling him that she was meeting Iris for lunch.

Barry couldn't help but bring his thoughts back to Oliver as she said her goodbyes. Frustrations turned to worry and fear. This fear enveloped his thoughts. He didn't move from his desk as he tried to fathom what he just learned about Oliver.

It was November. All of those months since March, Barry has spent planning a wedding. This wedding has continually been a source of happiness and excitement for Barry, despite the feelings of concern as of late. He could not help but feel guilty. These times of joy for him have been times of misery for Oliver. There have nights that he has spent blissfully drinking wine in with Iris, while his friend has been drowning himself in alcohol, trying to escape from whatever he is feeling.