Rehabilitation

A tingling sensation begins to radiate throughout Barry's legs. He places his hand over his thigh, smiling as he feels the tracing of his palm and a slight warmth from the touch. He repeats the same motion on the other leg, excitement building as he realized what had returned. He turned to Oliver who had been resting beside him on the bed. He loudly whispered his name.

In reaction, Oliver turned to face Barry and was met with a gleaming smile. His eyes showed confusion yet a slight grin began to appear on his face.

"What's got you so giddy?" Oliver questions.

Barry begins to lightly rub his thighs, keeping his attention on Oliver. "I can feel that!"

"You- you what?" Oliver stutters, immediately sitting up. His smile slowly begins to match Barry's. "You can feel your legs?" Barry, elated, nods. Oliver then raises his hand up with his palm facing Barry. Barry slaps his hand against Oliver's while gleefully laughing, taking a firm grasp on his hand afterwards.

"You're almost there." Oliver tells him grinning, not letting go of his hand. "You'll be out running soon enough."

Barry sports a wide grin, squeezing Oliver's hand tighter. This was the stride in his recovery that they had been waiting for since he had woke from his coma. It had been nearly a month since he had waken up, almost two months since he was shot. There were three crucial steps in his recovery— to wake, be able to feel, and finally be able to walk. He was at the final stage. He could taste the ending of what felt had like a long road.

Time, for the first time in four years, had slowed down for Barry. He had slowed down. He lived day by day because every day was different. He was to meet different goal and a different obstacle to that goal always came in the way. His upper body strength had finally returned. He could put a shirt on without help, he could sit up in bed on his own. These were all once goals that through hard work and rehabilitation, Barry was able to attain.

Run, Barry, Run.

The mantra that has motivated him for a good bit of his life continued to do so. He knew he was one step closer to the one thing that had been on his mind— and that was to run. That thought drove him everyday, it motivated him, helped him through the times where he wanted to quit. He knew that it would become even more crucial as he relearned how to walk.

"Pretty soon," Oliver begins while helping Barry pull on a pair of sweats. "You won't need my help to put on pants."

Barry sighs. "You know you'll miss it."

"I might a little bit." Oliver jokes.

Oliver tosses Barry a tee shirt. He slips it on while speaking. "Oh come on. You know you love dressing me."

Oliver furrows his eyebrows. "It's fine until you don't like the flannel that I pull out of the closet for you."

"Well some days I want to wear a hoodie."

Oliver looks at him with inquisition. He smiles while speaking with a lightly stern tone. "Then tell me before I go through the trouble of pulling a flannel off a hanger!"

"Quit whining, Queen. I'll run you back to Star City the moment I can run again."

Oliver slips his arms underneath Barry's torso and begins to lift him from the bed. "How about I just fly back tonight then?"

"I mean you can but," Barry continues as Oliver pulls him into his chest. "You wouldn't get to do this with me anymore."

"True." Oliver concurs. "This is one of my favorite parts of the day." The two smile at each other as Oliver begins to walk him from the bedroom and down the stairs. They are met by a smiling Iris who stands at the bottom of the staircase, waiting to help put Barry in his wheelchair.