3. You're On Your Own

What did I ever do to deserve this? I failed; mama is going to kill me. I just sat outside of the principal's office with a thumping heart, what if she throws me on the street? What if she disowns me? My head started pounding with all the questions. I jumped when the door to the principal's room swung open, abruptly. My mom passed past me, she shot me a death glare and left, which was my cue to follow her quietly without any word.

I quietly sat in the back seat as I knew that sitting with her would definitely grant me with a number of slaps or maybe worse. She fastened her seat-belt but before she started the car, she turned around to give another death glare and that was my cue to seat myself in the front seat, along with her. I understand her so well; she should be more affectionate towards me. The car started, she was quiet but I knew a slap or a humiliating scold was just around the corner.

"Ain't I a good a mother?" she spoke while having her eyes fixed on the road.

My eyes got stuck at her face, what was she trying to say? This was the woman that I saw after gaining sense; she was the one that gave shelter and raised a foster child with motherly affection that she didn't even give to her own child. I have hurt her today; I had no answer to her question. I just looked out of the window; I wanted to make it all right. The silence killed me though but I remained silent. I let her down. She pulled in the driveway and silently got out. I too quietly retreated to my room. I had no courage to stay near her, I was ashamed.

Josh didn't come today. Maybe he knew about my failures. I never studied, other kids do part-time jobs but I didn't do that either. Everyone took me as a good for nothing kid and it was the truth. In the evening, I quietly seated on the porch of my house.

"Billy! The dinner's ready!" I looked up at her. Was she actually asking me for dinner? Doesn't she suppose to scold me or yell at me?

"Ain't you mad at me?" I asked her but I didn't look her into her eyes, I just kept my head bowed down. Then I saw her sitting right next to me.

"Billy, my boy! Will you get any better if I scold you or don't give you food or throw you out on the streets?"

Was she a mind reader? Though I had no answer to her question because I was not sure, even about myself.

"Lemme tell you something, Billy. I know that you don't like studying at all; neither do you like doing jobs like other kids. So, basically, you don't like doing anything at all."

Wow! She does know me well. I felt even more humiliated.

"I'm sorry. I let you down." I managed to say while being totally embarrassed. I scratched the back of my neck.

"I want to change it. I want you all to think differently about me."

"Got any plans?" She simply asked.

I had no plans so I just shook my head in denial. I knew that my disappointment towards my own worthlessness was dripping down my face.

"Well, I have got a plan!"

I looked up at her. That's my mama; she must have something great planned for her Billy. My disappointment instantly turned into hope.

"From today onwards, you're on your own." she widely grinned at me and my grinned had already turned into a panicked frown.

"What do... What are you trying to say?" I stuttered.

She got up and went inside; I just followed her like a panicked puppy. She made me sit on the dinner table and started pouring me soup or whatever that was.

"Tell me!" I was getting impatient.

"Billy! What did I tell you about talking at the dinner table?" God damn it! This lady is getting on my nerves. I clutch my palms together and started doing prayer like every day. It was more of a code to have food.

"Dear Lord! Thank you for the food we eat but today I got much more to thank you for..." Did she forget to pray? I got my answer when she continued "Thank you for blessing me with such a cute little boy. Bless him to take this challenge of being on his own. Give him enough will and power to earn his own school fees, pass school with great marks and if he doesn't, grant him enough courage to live on streets." was she throwing me a devilish smirk while praying?

My eyes were swelled. She can't just throw me on the streets, can she?

Flashback

"I need to pee mama!" The eight-year-old Billy begged his mother standing on the front yard while she glared at him, having arms crossed over her chest.

End of Flashback

Okay, she definitely can throw me on the streets. I just finished my dinner, I was frustrated. I'm a kid; no one will give me a job. I was back in my room; I remembered how she kept smiling to herself. This woman was devil, I know why because she wasn't my real mother. Now, she's going to make me work too. Okay! That's not true maybe, maybe she isn't a devil but making me work at such an adolescent age was cruel. I kept mumbling to myself while I looked for my pyjamas.

I slept but the peace was gone, I kept flipping the whole night. I didn't know that my whole life was going to change for the worse when the clock struck 9 AM the next morning.

Hello! You're reading, means you like it. Grateful! Grateful and Grateful, I am.

Read

Vote

Comment

Few more characters are going to be in the next chapters.