Chapter 2-A Dwarf and a Badger

You awoke with a pounding headache and sat up seeing Caspian take a cloth off from around his head, setting it on an end table. You heard a voice from the next room causing you to gasp quietly.

"This bread is so stale." The voice said.

Caspian turned around and saw you. You shared a panicked look before it went to confusion at the topic of conversation.

"I'll just give them some soup, then. They should be coming around soon."

"Well I don't think I hit them hard enough." Another spoke. Caspian stood, and crept towards the doorway. You followed close behind.

"Nikabrik, they're just children."

"They're Telmarines, not some lost puppies. You said you were gonna get rid of them."

"No, I said I'll take care of them. We can't kill them now, I just bandaged their heads. It'd be like murdering guests." The first voice reasoned.

"Oh, and how do you think their friends are treating their guest?" This gave the other voice pause. He spoke after a moment.

"Trumpkin knew what he was doing. It's not the children's fault."

Before you could stop him, Caspian lunged out into the open, knocking over an animal. You ran out after him, and picked the poor creature up, setting him on his feet...paws. The little man that had knocked you out drew his sword and held it at Caspian, who picked up a fire poker as a weapon.

"Caspian!"

"Stop it! Stop it!" You and the badger tried to reason with the men clashing blades.

"I told you, we should have killed them when we had the chance." The man spoke.

"You know why we can't!" The badger reasoned. This caused him to stop swinging at your friend.

"If we're taking a vote, I'm with him." Caspian voiced, nodding his head in the direction of the badger. You nodded in agreement.

"We can't let them go, they've seen us!" Nikabrik shouted, slicing at Caspian once more, who blocked and fell on his butt.

"Enough, Nikabrik! Or do I have to sit on your head again?!" He scolded. This earned a surprised snort from you, who quickly covered your mouth.

"Sorry." You apologized.

"And you, look what you made me do!" The badger said, scolding Caspian. The badger bent down, and began picking food up off the ground, which you leaned over and helped with as well.

"I spent half the morning on that soup." The badger complained. Caspian looked at him in shock before his eyes traveled between the two captors.

"What are you?" He questioned. The badger laughed.

"You know, it's funny you should ask that. You'd think more people would know a badger when they saw one."

You pinched your lips together to keep in a laugh, which made you smile instead. You looked up at your friend.

"No. No, I mean," he paused, "you're Narnians. You're supposed to be extinct."

"Oh, sorry to disappoint you." Nikabrik spoke, returning to his seat. You scowled at him.

"That's not what he meant."

Nikabrik didn't respond. Instead, the badger placed two small bowls of soup on the table. "There ya go. Still hot."

You and Caspian shared a look.

"Since when do we open a boarding house for Telmarine soldiers?" Nikabrik asked.

"I am not a soldier." Caspian said, standing to his full height. "I am Prince Caspian. The tenth."

"What are you doing here?" Nikabrik asked.

"You kidnapped us." You countered, with a raised eyebrow.

"I mean what were you doing in the woods?"

"Running away." Caspian answered solemnly. You placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"My uncle has always wanted my throne." Caspian explained, pulling from your grasp to put the poker back. He looked into the fire.

"I suppose I have only lived this long because he did not have an heir of his own."

"Oh. That changes things." The badger noted.

"Yeah. Means we don't have to kill you ourselves." Nikabrik said. He pointed to you. "And who's she?"

"A friend." You smiled, sending the dwarf a sassy look. Caspian froze, recognition washed over his face as it turned pale.

"You're right." He said.

"Where are you going?" The badger asked.

"My uncle won't stop until I am dead." Caspian explained, pulling on his armor.

"But, you can't leave. You're meant to save us." The badger reasoned. He picked up the horn. "Don't you know what this is?" He asked. You looked to Caspian, who was staring at the horn in what appeared to be wonder and confusion.

"This was Queen Susan's horn. It's said to bring back the Kings and Queens of old, should it ever be used." The badger explained. You looked to Caspian.

"You called for help." The badger reminded him. "They're on their way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry these are starting out short.  When the plot thickens, the chapters should be longer.

~Mara~