Chapter 9-The Proposal

"Cakes and kettledrums. That's your next big plan?" Trumpkin asked. "Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone!"

"It's our only chance." Peter retorted.

"And she won't be alone." Susan informed. You were all back inside the tomb, discussing your next move. Trumpkin approached the girls.

"Haven't-haven't enough of us died already?" He asked softly.

"Nikabrik was my friend, too. But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I." Trufflehunter spoke. Edmund sat next to him, arms resting on his legs. You were looking at Edmund, when his eyes met yours. You quickly brought your eyes up to Caspian and Peter, turning a soft shade of pink.

"For Aslan." Reepicheep spoke, drawing his sword.

"For Aslan." A big brown bear spoke. You smiled. You really wanted to give him a hug. He looked so soft.

"Then I'm going with you." Trumpkin told Lucy.

"No. We need you here." She said, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back." Peter announced.

"If I may." Caspian said. Everyone turned to him. He was sitting on a couple steps, the Professor next to him. Caspian stood, walking forward.

"Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer," he started, "but as King, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people."

You smiled as your eyes widened.

"There is one in particular that may buy us some time." He spoke.

"What a great idea, Caspian!" You exclaimed, walking forward.

"What's the tradition?" Peter asked.

"The leader from each opposing side meet together to duel." You started.

"One on one, no backups." Caspian added.

"They fight to the death." You informed.

"Whomever dies, his army now surrenders, as it is the tradition." Caspian finished. Everyone sat in silence for a moment.

"How do we start?" Peter asked.

Before you knew it, you were on your way with Edmund, and a few escorts, a centaur and a giant, to Miraz's camp. Edmund walked into the tent, and you followed, crossing your arms as you enter. Miraz sent you a glance, but you tried to be on your best behavior. If this went wrong, everyone could die.

Edmund began to read.

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel and emperor of the Lone Islands," you almost smiled at the overly long title, "in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender." He finished, rolling up the scroll. There was silence for a few moments.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund-" Miraz started.

"King." Edmund said, cutting him off.

"Pardon me?"

"It's King Edmund, actually. Just 'King' though. Peter's the high King."

You smiled to yourself. 'Just king'. King Edmund the Just. Ya following me? Edmund was met with more silence.