iii. Once Upon a Band Show

Alana had gotten a ride from Eli's family that morning, her brother leaving early to help decorate the football stadium and for an impromptu sectional. Not that Alana really minded. As much as she loved her twin, and how could she not, Eli was really like the twin sister Alana had always wished she could replace her brother with. Not that she ever would. Well maybe, but could you really blame her? When she rode with Alex, he always told her to shut up, would turn the music up so he couldn't hear her, and wouldn't even let her drive the car that was supposed to both of theirs!

Eli's musical tastes were similar to Alana's own and she pretended to listen to Alana almost the whole ride to the high school. She parked in the first spot she found -they were running a little later than they would have liked to have been- and ran into the school, having just enough time to store their things in the orchestra room and put together their instruments.

"Wow, you guys are cutting it kind of close," Laila said, slipping the sunglasses from the top of her head onto her face.

"Why are you even wearing sunglasses?" Alana grumbled, glaring up at her friend. She checked her slide to make sure it didn't need to be oiled before shutting her case with a small slam. "It's drizzling out and I don't remember seeing the sun since like Wednesday."

"Because I like to be cool and prepared for anything."

"I don't think you're prepared enough for this weather," Eli said around her reed. She used her free hand to gesture towards Laila's outfit. "If it starts raining any harder you'll freeze!"

Laila waved a hand. "Eh, I'll be fine. But speaking of rain: Mr. Reed said to bring out your cases and a plastic bag. You remembered your plastic bag, right?"

"Yes Laila," Eli said, rolling her eyes. "Of course, I remembered my trash bag. I keep it right here in my case, remember. Next to my reeds, like always."

"Okay, I was just making sure." Laila stood up, taking a few steps towards the door out to the vestibule. Following her line of sight, Alana saw Lucas talking to one of the directors. If she timed it right, Laila would be able to walk outside to basic's block with him. "Well, I should get going."

She left and Eli shook her head. "I can't believe this; abandoned in our time of need!"

"Or maybe she's distracting the directors so we can sneak out there?" Alana said, even though she knew it wasn't true. Eli rolled her eyes. "Well I'm sorry miss Eliza I know everything Kiley, but you come up with a better excuse!"

"Well, first of all that's a terrible middle name. Especially since my middle name is Beth. Which isn't much better, but still." Eli closed the lid to her case very gently and they both stood up and took quick step to hurry to basics block. "And second of all, I just state them like I see them."

"Oh riiiight." They could hear the muffled sounds of their fellow marching band friends getting into formation and the skyjack making its ascent to the top, where Mr. Lewis would have the perfect view. Their steps became larger and quicker. "I forgot you were for the truth, only the truth, and nothing but the truth."