xxv. we're breaking free

Alana had spent the next few days ignoring Emmett as best as she could before, right before the football game that Friday, while she was feigning looking for her band shoes, she texted Claire about it.

Alana

So, should I break up with him?

I probably should

I dunno.

I haven't talked to him in a few days

clairiton

It's your decision

(but my vote is please)

Alana wasn't sure if Claire's text really helped make anything clear, but she continued to text her as she finally emerged from her room and they headed to the school.

Alana

Blah :P

Youre no help

clairiton

Sorry lovely

Alana

It's fine. You coming to the game?

 please please please please tell me youre coming to the game

Please

please

purrty please

clairiton

sorry lovely

if I wanna make it to state finals,
then I can't come tonight

Alana

You can't even come for moral support 😥

clairiton

you got this!

"You coming?" Laila asked. She had just finished tying her shoe and was standing next to the chair Alana sat in, juggling her instrument, hat, and gloves. Eli stood next to her, her own instrument sitting carefully on a chair as she fixed her gloves.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, yeah." Alana silenced her phone, quickly tucking it into her band uniform pocket. She stood, grabbing her stuff and following her friends out the door.

As they stood at attention on the field, waiting for the football team to run out, Alana's eyes scanned the audience. They grazed over who she assumed were her parents near the top of the stands, and then they landed on Emmett and several other people, leaning on the fence near the concession stands. His back was to her, but she stared at it so hard and long she almost missed Mr. Lewis blowing his whistle to call them to attention and the football team beginning their run out.

"The one game he actually comes to," she thought glumly, as they marched off the field. Her eyes watched him as he turned slightly, glancing at the band before turning away again. Soon, they had marched far enough away that she couldn't see him unless she were to turn her head. "I hope he leaves soon."

As it would turn out, he didn't leave, and she saw him as she was walking under the bleachers with Eli and Rina, on their way to get something to snack on.

She hesitated, her footsteps faltering slightly. Why not do it now? It was as good of a time as any and then she wouldn't have to worry about it later. Right?

"Lane?" Rina raised her eyebrows and Alana waved her hand.

"You guys go on, I'll catch up in a little bit," she said, handing Eli the few dollars she had been squeezing between her fingers. "Get me a pretzel if I'm not there in time."