Chapter 11: Last Night

It was Friday night, so there shouldn't be anyone out... right? The figure roamed the empty halls of the massive school, already lost and feeling as if he was back in his freshmen days when he had to navigate his way to classes on the first week of high school. Every year, even up to his last one, it always felt the same. Except now, he would never have another class again, so he waved that thought away and continued on. He no longer needed a map, schedule, or a teacher's help- but he certainly needed information.

Just as he was about to turn at the end of the hall, he quickly stopped and flattened himself against the wall; from the corner of his eye, he had spotted a lone student who he barely avoided bumping into. But he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

The student didn't look like any person he saw back home. Sure, he had auburn hair and calming green eyes but that was where the similars stop. He was wearing a leather armor and a tunic. His scent smell like pine trees, burn fish, reptiles, and sea salt. But with every step he took, it sounded like he was kicking an empty tin can. The figure looked down to see a left prosthetic foot. Made. Of. Metal.

The figure had almost bumped into this guy but manages to perfectly evade him and noticed he was tinkering with a bluetooth-like device, unsure what to do with it. Almost trying to break it. And he didn't even notice him!

What the? Did he just walk past me?

The figure gave one last glance at the metal leg boy and let out a breath. That was too close. If he was caught now, Em would kill him.

That boy was nothing he expected to be in this type of school. He doesn't look like he had some type of power and he was too scrawny to put up a fight. Guess he was more of a strategy kind of guy. Maybe his blood would taste small as well.

Maybe a bite won't hurt.

He looked at the direction of the boy, ready to take him down, but he wasn't there. It was almost like he disappeared. But that was impossible. There wasn't anything about him that screamed supernatural or magical.

Maybe he knew the shortcuts around the school.

Or that he just walked really fast.

There goes his meal. The figure took five more steps forward before he started to feel something off. Something powerful.

He turned around to be face to face with...a little... floating...girl?

"Hi there!" He wasn't sure what he should say about this. He wasn't even sure what was she. She didn't even seem human but it felt like she was no older than eight. Maybe he can use her to find him. "I've never seen you before. Are you new here?"

"Uh...Yeah, I'm new...here...at this school." If only he could lie better.

"You don't sound sure." Shit.

"I'm sure. I just got in tonight and I've been looking for my buddy who got here way before I came." Please buy it. Please buy it.

"Oh! I see," Yes! This was too easy. "Who's your friend?"

"Vlad Tod." The little girl's big pink eyes slightly widen but it was quickly replaced with a smile. What was she smiling about and why was she surprised?

"I didn't know Vlad had a friend back home. Welcome to Golden Hearts."

Vlad said nothing about Elysia to the heroes. Interesting. "Really? Weird. We're very close friends. I'm surprised he didn't talk about me to any of you."

The little girl smiled and slightly giggled, her big red bow slightly bouncing. "Don't feel bad. Vlad is very shy and he doesn't talk much. Wait, does he know you're here?"