Chapter 16: Delay

The portal machine was surprisingly unguarded and unlock. Nino was pretty sure there were going to be a few faculty members that were going to be walking around the building, due to how big the machine was. But with this new information, this could help them get the team to their goal. However, there was no guarantee something else would happen.

"Are we sure this is a good idea?" Dipper asked as soon as they get to the control panel. Nino just rolled his eyes and nudged him closer to the panel.

"We already been through this. We don't have much of a choice."

"Now just do your nerd thing with the panel." Chloé scoff. Dipper rolled his eyes and muttered something along the line of 'bossy' and 'fake blonde'. Nino could slightly see him figuring out how to open a small portal from the giant machine.

"How's it going on your end guys?" Marinette said into her communicator.

"Everything is quiet but no one in sight yet." Iris voice echoed in the ear pieces.

"Alright. Let's make this quick." The small group nodded and got into position. Dipper at the panel, Peter and Akko close by the machine, and the Quintet having a quick chat. Most likely to talk about Vlad.

"Any last words or a message for Vlad before we get going?" Marinette asked while adjusting her small purse. Nino looked over at Alya, hoping she would say something. But she didn't speak up. So Chloé did instead.

"Make sure Vlad knows we're worried about him and we're sorry." Nino nodded and nudged Alya. She nodded and rubbed her arm sheepishly.

"We will. Just keep the teachers from finding us." Marinette said as soon as Dipper finished working on the panel. The machine started up but the doors were slowly opening. It wasn't big enough for them all to squeeze by.

"Dipper! Can you make it bigger?" Akko yelled as she ready her wand.

"I'm trying! This is as fast as it can go."

"Marinette!! Headmaster Max and someone else is heading to the portal machine!"

"Make sure you guys slow them down!" Marinette turned her attention to her team. "Get as close as you can to the machine. As soon as you can, get through but don't waste any magic or tools. We might need it for Vlad. Nino, Chloé, Alya, Dipper, you four need to go as soon as the portal closes after us."

Everyone nodded and Nino started to push the girls to the side where Dipper was working hard to make the machine opening faster. Nino had prayed nothing else would happen. Everyone was praying as well.

But it wasn't enough.

"Marinette!! They're still on their way!"

"What?! We need more time!" Dipper yelled over the sounds the portal made. Nino looked over at the portal that no bigger than some air vents back home. There was no way they could open it up any more at this pace.

"Forget making it bigger! Start crawling!" Everyone looked over at Nino. They were shock by what he had said. But this wasn't the time to start questioning him now. "Just go! We'll buy you more time!"

Nino then dragged Alya and Chloé out the building. They needed to be out of there in time for the distraction. And hopefully give the team enough time to get out.

The trio ran from the side of the building to the front, just in time to bump into Headmaster Max and his guest. Almost quite literal. Nino looked at the man and instantly felt afraid. The man was tall and had this aura that sent chills down Nino's spine. His dark eyes pierced through his soul and Nino couldn't breath. Is this now Alya felt when she saw Vlad's vampire side?