Pippa

I had cried the night before Raina and Felix went to kindergarten. It was hard to believe they were already five. These first few years had flown by. It had been a blur of diapers, firsts, chasing them, and trying to catch a decent night's sleep. Both of them were a joy, and I loved being their mother. We got compliments all the time on how beautiful they were. The twins were a wonderful blend of Lin and me – Latino and Asian.

When Friday rolled around, I was glad to have a date night with my husband. It hadn't happened for a while, and we'd needed it. Lin had been away for the week, leaving me home with all four kids by myself. It had been physically and emotionally exhausting.

Lin and I walked down the street holding hands. It could be viewed as somewhat childish, but it was one of my favorite things. He would gently rub the back of my hand with his thumb, silently communicating how much he loved me. Love was never a problem with us.

Lin ordered a nice wine at dinner, and we laughed and talked. The rule was no talking about the kids, which was hard. They were the center of our universe, and that was the way it should be. Lin told me more about some of his gigs coming up – writing music for a movie, collaborating with different artists. He was ever in search of an idea for a new musical, but big ideas never hit him unless he was at rest. Right now, life was go-go-go with four children and work. His magnificent brain would have to wait.

"We should go on vacation soon," I told him. "We need to get away. Maybe give you some time to write."

He nodded as he sipped the wine. "Where to?"

"Somewhere warm," I decided. "The twins have never been to Puerto Rico."

"It wouldn't be much of a vacation with my family," he laughed, thinking of all his extended family there. It would be an endless parade of family dinners, singing and dancing. It would be great, but it wouldn't be relaxing.

"True," I said. "The twins should meet their family."

Lin inhaled and leaned back. "Yeah, you're right. It would help with their Spanish too."

"What are you thinking about?" I asked as he seemed to be lost in thought.

"Hmmm?"

"Looks like you're thinking some serious thoughts over there," I said.

"Sorry," he scrubbed a hand over his face, then rested his head in his hand. "Just tired."

I reached over the table and we gently clasped hands. It was nice to be able to take our time and not have to scarf our food down while we tried to corral the kids. After we'd paid the bill, we walked, hand in hand, towards Central Park. It was August, so it was a balmy but pleasant night.

The silence between us was comfortable; natural for a couple who'd been together for six years. It was still light out, so I looked at the trees, the flowers, the other couples and families that were enjoying the park. After a while, we found an empty bench and sat down.

I leaned my head against his shoulder and we held hands. I inhaled his familiar scent, a scent that made me feel safe and comforted.

"I was thinking the other day of the first time I laid eyes on you," he said softly. I smirked a little.

"Yeah?"

"Mmmhmmm," he said. "You walked onto the stage. You looked cool as a cucumber, but I knew you were scared out of your mind."

I had told him the story before of how my friends had forced me to audition and how nervous I'd been. I'd graduated from Juilliard, but this was the real deal. It had been my first shot at Broadway.

"Your hair was half up," he went on. "Your hands were gripping the script so tight your knuckles were white. That's how I could tell you were nervous."

I smiled a little and ran my fingers up and down his arm. "I was about to audition for Lin-Manuel Miranda," I pointed out. "You were a God to me, even then."

He chuckled a little at that. Most of the world may not have known who he was at that point, but anyone who knew Broadway had witnessed his genius from In The Heights.

"Then you opened your mouth and I was undone," he said, then kissed my temple. "Most beautiful voice I've ever heard. And very easy on the eyes."

I grinned and wrapped my arm around him, pulling him close. I was like a kid, wanting him to tell the story of when he'd first seen me again and again. Honestly, I hadn't thought of him that way to begin with. He was my boss, kind of, and I was just in awe of his talent. He'd written this entire musical by himself and he was going to star in it.

"I remember the first time I walked in on you half-naked in your dressing room," I told him, rubbing my hand over his chest. "Mid costume change."

"Not an accident," he accused.

"You'd asked me to come see you," I countered.

"I'll admit to nothing," he said. "I just know I saw you blush when you saw me in my boxer-briefs."

"Did I?"

"You did," he said. "And you looked at my bulge."

I laughed out loud and sat up to look at him. His face showed how he thought he was winning at this.

"Well, it's kind of hard to miss," I stroked his ego. He laughed and we kissed. His hand went to the back of my head and we kissed deeper. I could never get tired of how he tasted, or how good he was at kissing. Several minutes later, we pulled apart.

We decided to go for a drink at a nearby bar. Around 10:00, we went home. Cara and Cam were on the sofa with the lights out, watching a scary movie.

"Hi girls," I greeted them as we walked in.

"Hey," they responded, eyes glued to the TV. I looked at the screen and saw they were watching Scream. "Ugghhh. This movie gave me nightmares for weeks."

I stepped out of my heels and Lin's hands went to my hips from behind. He planted a kiss on my neck, hinting at what he had on his mind. I grinned and put a hand over his.

"Girls, we're going to bed," I told them. "Cara, are you heading home soon?"

The girls looked at each other. "Can't she stay the night?" Cam asked.

"You're grounded, remember?" I told her.

"But I'm not going anywhere," she pointed out. I looked at Lin.

"Cara, do you want me to take you home?" he offered, backing me up. Cam sighed and pressed pause on the movie.

"No, that's okay," she said as she stood up. Lin fished around for his wallet and pulled out twenty dollars. He handed it to Cara.

"Thanks for helping with the kids," he told her. Cara thanked him and then waved goodbye to her friend. Cam turned off the TV, glared at me, and stormed off to her room, slamming the door.

I braced myself for crying children, but luckily no sounds came. "She's got daggers for you," Lin commented as he poured himself a glass of water.

"Tell me about it," I sighed as I checked the locks.

"Don't let her get you down," he said gently, kissing behind my ear. His hands closed around my waist and his lips found mind. We kissed and kissed as we made our way down the hallway and locked our bedroom door. We didn't want any pint-sized visitors.