Pippa

The next day was a busy one. I'd volunteered to go on a field trip with the twins' class. I was assigned a group of five kindergarteners. By the end of the field trip I was completely exhausted. I didn't know how their teacher did it. The kids had had fun, though, so it was worth it.

In the afternoon I was running around, meeting with people and doing some errands in between. I returned to school around 3:00 to pick the younger kids up since Cam had plans after school. It had been go-go-go all day. I began cooking dinner when a text message came through.

It was a picture of Lin, in a compromising position, with our neighbor Sofia. My heart immediately dropped and I felt bile rise in my throat. The message read, 'your husband is an amazing lover'.

I gaped and didn't know what to do. I immediately tucked my phone away. Lin wouldn't have cheated on me, would he? I knew Sofia had been coming on to him and he'd had to rebuke her several times. Had he finally given in?

I basically beat up dinner as I made it, waiting for Lin to get home to question him. When he finally arrived around 6:30, I immediately told him we needed to talk. He looked at me quizzically, but didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about. I called Molly to watch the dinner for a few minutes, then we walked back to our bedroom. I pulled out my phone and showed him the photo.

"What the hell is that?" he asked, taking the phone from me.

"You tell me," I said, crossing my arms. He looked at me like he didn't believe I was questioning him.

"Pippa, that's not me," he said, handing back the phone. "She must have photoshopped it or something."

"Didn't you tell me that she promised America would leave Cam alone if you slept with her?" I accused.

"Yes, but I would never do that, Pippa!" he exclaimed. "You know me. I can't believe you'd think I'd actually do it."

"Well, the photo evidence is pretty convincing," I said, angrily tossing some clothes into the hamper.

"Pip, she's a conniving little wench," he said, following me. "Why don't you believe me?"

"I don't know, Lin," I said honestly. "This is just...really getting to me. I'd like to think you'd rebuke her, but sometimes I'm not so sure."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked.

"Lin, we haven't slept together in weeks," I pointed out.

"So? We've been super busy."

I torqued my jaw, still pissed off. I wanted to believe him, but Sofia was being very persistent. Lin stared at me, exasperated.

"I can't believe you'd believe her over me," he said, shaking his head in disgust. "I love you, Pip, and I would never ever cheat on you. Come find me when you've got your head on straight."

With that, he left the room, leaving me alone. I collapsed onto the bed and started crying. I didn't know what to believe any more. Lin and I had always had a strong marriage, but this year had been rocky. We'd had the fight over Raina's treatment and now this whole mess with Sofia.

I cried for a few minutes then composed myself. I decided I needed to go straight to the source. I marched out our apartment, past Lin who was taking over dinner, and down to Sofia's. When I knocked she answered, looking glamorous as usual.

"Pippa," she said, crossing her arms. "I thought you might be coming to see me."

"You're lying," I said, glaring at her. "Lin would never cheat on me."