Lin

I bit my tongue as Pippa started packing up Raina's things. If there was one thing I'd learned about women, it was that if they made up their mind, especially about something involving their children, they would not be overruled. She was taking our daughter to a hospital for treatment, which would hopefully do its job. I just wasn't sure about the whole distance thing. Raina was definitely a daddy's girl and I knew she would miss me.

Raina sat on the couch with her brother playing the iPad together. I was most worried about the effect it would have on the twins. They were incredibly close and had never been apart for more than a day. I walked close to them and heard them talking about the game. I would have to make sure Felix got lots of extra TLC.

Pippa deposited two suitcases by the door. They were going to fly out in about two hours.

"Will you get a sippy cup with water for her and some snacks for the plane?" she asked me, looking a little flustered.

"Sure," I said, and went to the kitchen. Molly wandered out, looking sad. As I put some pretzels and Goldfish in some plastic baggies, she rested her head against my arm. I pressed a kiss to her head.

"You doin' okay?" I asked her.

"I don't get why Mom has to take her to Tennessee," she said. That made two of us, but I wasn't going to badmouth my wife to her children.

"Well, your mom's done a lot of research about the type of cancer Raina has and that's the best place. She's a little nervous that the first treatment didn't work," I patiently explained.

"But what about the rest of us?" she asked.

The kids had been great about understanding that a lot of our time and energy was going to Raina right now, but it was taking a toll on them. Molly was incredibly close to her mother. We weren't sure how long she'd be gone, but I knew it would be rough on Molly.

"You've been so patient," I acknowledged, stopping what I was doing and turning to her. "I know this is hard on you. Hopefully the treatment will work first time and they'll be back in a few weeks."

She sighed, not liking the answer. I didn't like it either, but it was the best I had. I pulled Molly into a hug and rubbed her back.

Pippa walked back in, tucking a couple more things into the suitcase. "Alright, Raina. Find your shoes."

Raina passed the iPad to her brother and pushed herself off the couch. She walked to the door and found her little boots and pulled them on. I could already feel the tears threatening to spill over. I didn't want to make this harder for Raina.

"Time to say goodbye to everyone," Pippa prompted her. I walked down the hall to get Cam. When we walked out, Molly was kneeling down mid-hug, and there were tears in her eyes. When she stood up I put my hand on her shoulder in support. Cam was next, then Felix. Finally, it was my turn. I bent down and picked my little girl up. She giggled as I hugged her tight.

"Daddy you're squishing me!" she complained as she laughed.

"I'm just gonna miss you so much," I told her, my voice catching.

"I'll miss you too, Daddy," she said in her sweet little voice. I held her for a long while, but it wasn't enough. Pippa announced it was time to go. I gently set Raina down and pressed my lips together hard to keep from losing it.

I gave Pippa a quick peck on the cheek, but there wasn't an amorous goodbye like there usually was. I still hadn't forgiven her for doing this to us. They both waved as they headed out the door with their luggage. When the door closed, the apartment was completely silent. No one really knew what to do or say.