Lin

On Saturday morning, I was up early with the twins.  I fixed them both a bowl of Trix and let them plop down at the coffee table to watch Saturday morning cartoons.  I started making coffee when America appeared unexpectedly.  Usually she slept in late on the weekends.

"Morning," I told her, my voice still groggy.

"Morning," she smiled at me, seeming fully awake.  I think she had even already showered.

"What are you doing up so early?" I asked as I got out the mugs.

"I've been thinking," she told me.

"Uh oh," I joked and she giggled a little.  "About what?"

"My mom," she said.  "I don't want to visit her in prison any more."

I nodded, impressed that she was being so decisive.  "Good for you.  That's your choice."

"And I don't think I want to live with her ever again," she added.  I looked at her and could see she was completely serious and seemed confident.

"Alright," I said simply.  "Do you need help getting started?"

She nodded.  "I guess I need to get a lawyer."

"Yep," I told her.  "I can help you find one.  We can get started on Monday."

She seemed to perk up and went to find some cereal.

"Are you gonna talk to your mom first?" I asked.

"I don't know," she said.  "I'm afraid she'll freak out."

I nodded.  "It might hurt her more to be dealt paperwork with no explanation."

She bit her lip and seemed to ponder that.  I wanted this to go smoothly for her.  I had a feeling her mother might make it difficult if she could.  She didn't take insults well.

"I could talk to her," I offered, though I'd rather never see her again.  America deserved to have a stress-free life.

"No, you don't have to do that," she said, but I could tell she wanted me to.  Her mother intimidated her.  Heck, she intimidated me.  She shouldn't have to face this alone.

I gave her a knowing look.  "No worries.  I'll go visit her and give her a heads up.  That way she can have time to digest it before she sees you again."

America started to argue, but then stopped.  Instead, she offered a small smile and told me thank you.  She joined the twins in the living room to watch cartoons.

____

On Monday, I contacted a few lawyers and finally settled on one that specialized in adolescents emancipating from parents.  I wouldn't even bring up the fee with America.  It wasn't something she should have to deal with.  America and I met with the lawyer the next day and he made sure she understood all the legal ramifications, including that she'd be financially independent.

As we left, she was quiet.

"What's on your mind?" I asked as we got into the empty elevator.

She breathed out.  "I don't know about this.  I'm not ready to support myself financially.  Isn't emancipation more for child stars whose parents are trying to steal their money?"

I chuckled.  "It can be.  But don't worry about money.  Pippa and I are happy to have you."

She looked uncomfortable.  "That doesn't feel right."

"You're a kid," I reminded her.  "You shouldn't have to support yourself yet."

"Well, I should at least get a job."