chapter 21: lingering shadows

Phillip's POV

I felt horrified meeting the ace detective at a place I least expected her.

"N-naoto?!" I stammered "what are you doing here?"

"Ah apologies senpai. I had some cases that required some attention." She smiled "how have you been?"

I thought of stretching the truth but I decided to come clean a little with my parents death.

"I...uh...had an accident several months back...that claimed both my parents' lives. And I still bare a huge scar that carries with me every day."

My friend only stared as I raised my metal arm to show her. She seemed to study it with her eyes. Suddenly she hugged me, knocking her sleuth's hat off in the process.

"I'm so sorry for your loss.." Naoto whispered. I was taken back. Perhaps Rise didnt call her after all seeing shes behaving like this. I slowly hugged her back for a moment before we let each other go.

As the detective pick up her hat I remembered that Naoto had a similar incident. She lost both of her parents at a very young age and was raised by her grandfather ever since and became a detective.

"Are...you doing okay?" Naoto asked me.

"I'm coping slowly. I have some great friends and a girlfriend that keep me going." I smiled sadly.

"I see. I'm glad you're not doing anything rash." The detective smiled back. "I was just shopping here for things to relax my mind. Care to join me?"

"Of course. Gives us a chance to catch up."

We shopped for an half an hour, chatting about school and our friends. I made sure I didnt bring up anything shadow related to the ace detective before we paid for our groceries and parted ways.

I went home and fixed myself a salad with the groceries I got.

Whether Rise did call Naoto or not I need to be extra careful now.

I let out a sigh...what does tomorrow hold for me?

Naoto's POV

It was quite surprising to see phillip but the look in his eyes were filled with deep thought the moment he bump into me. I could tell from his character he was hiding something.

After we parted I decided to follow him. It was a little trek till we got to a house that was I assumed his. I crept in the shadows and stood by a window as the lights flick on inside the room; revealing the kitchen.

I watched as phillip laid the groceries on the counter to make a salad. Hearing him sigh he grabbed his dish and pulled out a tape recorder from his jacket pocket.

"Today I had a unexpected encounter with Naoto." He said into the recorder as he took a bite of his salad. "While I was happy to see her the anger builds in me...had Rise called her or not it pisses me off of others getting into my damn business!" He let off a sigh " damn my friends...I created so many sins while I lied to them...especially Makoto." I then heard him tear up a bit...was his feelings building up?

"I hate this shit!" He yelled. "Going in circles while committing crimes I didnt want to do...what would my parents do if they were alive in this situation?!" He let out a shuddering breath as he ate more of his salad. "What's done is done...tomorrow I'm sure the rest of the gang will infiltrate Hasuke's palace and I plan to join them. Maybe I'll get the answers I want or I'll probably go in more circles. Let's see what happens. End recording."

I watched as phillip shut the recorder off and carried the dish to the sink before heading up stairs; out of sight.

"What have you been doing Senpai...?" I murmured to myself. This was an unexpected event. Even hearing this it still wasnt enough to get a search warrant. It be best I start investigating tomorrow.