Chapter One: New Beginnings

(First Person Point of View)

       The plane landed at Tokyo Haneda Airport about ten minutes ago. I was reluctant to turn on my cell phone, but I knew I'd have to face the music at one point or another. I had called Uncle Ai and left a voicemail as I was boarding my flight. I wasn't supposed to fly out until Friday morning, but I couldn't stand being in Rodeo a moment longer. All the casseroles that the neighbors and friends of my parents kept bringing over. The reporters lurking outside my front door. The messages left on the answering machine. I couldn't take it anymore. So I moved my flight to the earliest one available, I flew out twelve hours ago.

       Uncle Ai- What do you mean you're boarding the plane now?

       Uncle Ai- Y/N, you better be joking.

       Missed Calls  - Uncle Ai (4)

       Uncle Ai- Answer your phone Y/N.

       Uncle Ai- You better call me as soon as you land.

       Surprisingly he only left me one voicemail. I hold the phone up to my ear as I desperately try to locate where to pick up my luggage. I decide to follow the other passengers from my flight while the robotic voice tells me the time the voicemail was left.

       "Y/N!" Uncle Ai's voice boomed in my ear. "What the hell do you think you're doing? Changing your flight to get here four days earlier! You knew exactly how I'd react and how I would have told you to wait. This is incredibly childish!" There's a long pause. "Well, there's nothing we can do about it now. Hizashi— Present Mic will be waiting for you outside the international arrivals platform. I won't be back at the school until Saturday." His voice grows faint as he talks to someone in the background. "Call me when you get this."

       Yikes! I'm just going to hold off on that phone call for now. Maybe I can avoid all contact with him until Saturday...

       "That's even stupider than what I've already done," I mutter under my breath. I'll just call him when I get to UA.

       "Is that really little miss Y/N?" An overly excited voice sings through the busy airport.

       "Uncle Mic!" I tighten the grip on my phone and passport and rush over to where his voice originated. Before I can reach him though the security guard gives me a stern warning before taking my passport. Once all the formalities are done I finally reach Present Mic.

       This man would visit as often as Uncle Ai and I grew up thinking he was an actual part of my family and not just an extension. As far as I'm concerned he's my uncle.

       I haven't even been in Japan for a full thirty minutes and I'm feeling better. The circumstances that brought me here were really shitty and it's not like I can just forget about them, but I do have a say in whether or not I let everything that's happened weigh me down. I always thought that when it was time for a new beginning to happen in my life it wouldn't be foreshadowed by death, but by opening my own hero agency or falling in love...

       "Mic-ship to Y/N," the loudmouth man with gravity-defying hair knocked two fingers against my skull. "What's got your mind out of rhythm?"

       I can't help but laugh. Who says things like that? "Nothing," I say. Before he can call me out on lying I spot both of my suitcases riding side-by-side on the luggage carousel. I pull the midsized one off with ease, but the large bag gives me trouble. I just about have it when someone knocks into my backside and I end up taking a ride on top of my suitcase.

       Thankfully a hero was standing nearby... Scratch that...
       "I've always wanted to do this!" Present Mic whoops and hollers, jumping onto the revolving metal slats.

       He's an adult. He's the adult that's supposed to be taking care of me and my well-being until we get to the school. If we get to the school because at the rate we're going we are more likely to be arrested before we step foot outside of the airport.