1. And so it begins

I'm hunting for squirrels in the woods behind our house when I hear the snap of a twig and a low growling sound, a sound that makes your blood curl.

    I turn around expecting to see a coyote or or some kind of animal, but instead I see a man... or I think it's a man.

"Hey mister are you ok, you don't look so good?"

I asked, genuinely concerned. He just kept walking... no stumbling towards me his eyes were grey and his shirt held a scary amount of blood on it, he was pale and smelled like a dead animal.

"Sir!"

I said loudly as he staggered towards me. Fear was settling in the bottom of my stomach as he began growling and snapping his teeth at me.

    I grabbed my knife from the belt around my waist. Before I could do anything, I heard a gunshot and was splattered with a warm feeling. I realized somebody had shot the man in the head. I didn't even think about it I turned around and sprinted away.

I made it to my house in record time. I had tears in my eyes and was out of breath. Somebody was just killed right in front of me.

    I just witnessed a murder. If the police get involved my dad would be ticked. I ripped open the door, slammed it shut, and locked it.

   I was about to go to the kitchen to get a cup of much needed water when a something hit the door. I darted away from the door, and fell turning quickly to see what it was.

   I realized it has a hand, then another, till I realized there were at least five people outside my door.

      Then the TV automatically turned on with a nationwide alert about a disease killing people, but they didn't stay dead, they will eventually come back only they were different. They were eating people.

   I ran to my room and grabbed my big backpack and started packing I grabbed my slingshot, a few other knives I kept hidden in my drawers, and a small blanket that I have had ever since I can remember.

    I also grabbed a warm shirt and pants to wear at night, and of course comfortable clothes Like extra socks.

      I already had my hunting boots on but I wanted an extra pair of shoes, so I went to My closet to grab some. I looked at my high top converse and thought, "too impractical." I decided to grab my tennis shoes.
   Then I went to the bathroom and grabbed a toothbrush, and toothpaste.

      Once I had the necessities I put it by the door, the backdoor with none of those... things... outside it.

    I went to the kitchen and made myself a nice sandwich, seeing it might be the last nice meal I would have for a while. I ate all of it then grabbed some cans of vegetables and a couple small items that would last the Georgia weather.

     I didn't know what to do. Where should I go? Should I wait for my daddy? All these questions were making me sick to think about. What Am I gonna do with a slingshot, and Some knives? I might be good at throwing knives, but still I've only been hunting a short period of time, and my tracking skills (if you could call them that) weren't worth crap.

    I couldn't afford A fancy bow and arrow, and who would sell a rifle to a eight-year-old.

     I decided to wait till tomorrow to see if my dad would be back, after all it is getting dark. So I grabbed a pillow from my room and laid on the couch to try to sleep, cause I would need it.