9. Alone at last

I look into the clean blue water. I should really wash my clothes and myself, but why would I... I mean maybe if I stink enough they wouldn't make me sleep in the tent. I pull out my knife, I twirl it around my fingers it's a nervous habit. I didn't tell Officer Dimwit where I was, oh well.

I need to do something, all this sitting around is gonna kill me. I want to go hunting, or at least on a long walk by myself, no adults. I smile as Apollo jumps into the water getting me soaked. I find a stick and throw it as far as I can, which isn't very far considering I don't have much muscle. Apollo just sat there sopping wet looking at me with his head tilted slightly.

"Go git it boy!"

He doesn't even move.

"Look I'll show you. See?"

I say as I run and pick it up. I do it till I can finally get him to understand the concept. "

"Good boy!" He wags his tail excitedly.

I better go back to camp. Maybe Shane doesn't even know I've been gone, I mean he doesn't just wait around for an opportunity to chew me out... or does he? I guess I'm aabout to find out.

   I am back at camp, but Shane is gone, and Lori too.

"I wonder where they could be?" I say to myself mockingly.

I bet they'll be gone a while, maybe if I go for a quick hunt I'll be back before they get back. I'll tell Glenn I'm taking a nap. Wait, no I'll tell Dale. I'd feel bad lying to Glenn.

   Finally I'm alone in the woods. I grab my slingshot when I see a fat squirrel. I pull back with ease, and set the rock free... miss? How could I miss it it's like ten feet away? I'm angry with myself, I'm too mad to realize at first, but Apollo runs after the squirrel,

"Apollo get back here!" I whisper/yell.

I need to run after him, but he comes back a few seconds later, with the stupid squirrel I missed in his mouth. It's maddening my dog is a better hunter than me. I need target practice I end up carving a circle in the tree and spend about ten minutes till I finally hit the bullseye.

     I keep doing it till I'm comfortable enough to defebd myself if any dead were to make it this far into the mountains. Apollo seems to have enjoyed the meal he caught. At least one of us had some luck.

   What am I supposed about to do now it doesn't make any sense to hunt because what would I do with it the Dixon's would for sure notice the extra food and the others would kill me for leaving camp without permission and alone.

Well Since I'm so good at spying I have wondered what the Dixon brother's camp looked like. And they're both gone doing who knows what. So I won't get caught... hopefully.

I sneak down to their camp. It's surprisingly clean, except for some dirty shirts, and animal pelts all over the place. I bet they are off hunting, they are allowed to hunt as often as they want.

     Maybe if I can prove myself to the others , and be allowed to go hunting too... probably not. I see some meat lying around and I'm hoping that's not what we're having for dinner considering how long it might have been lying on the tree stump for.

I see a small knife and I grab it deciding that's it's better than nothing.

'Snap' I hear a twig in the woods behind me break, and I hightail it out of the Dixon's camp. I don't think Shane would kill me for snooping, but I wouldn't put it past them.

  When Shane and Lori do finally get back it's supper time. We're chowing down on the squirrels the Dixons hunted. They aren't as good as I can cook up at home, but it's better than starving. I just realize I haven't eaten all day, so I'd probably eat just about anything.

     I look at Lori and Shane sitting there with Carl in between them. Don't they look cozy. Glenn is sitting next to Dale, Andrea, and Amy, t-dog is close to them but he's keeping to himself, like me, except for I have Apollo.

The Morales family is with Jim, and Jacqui. Of coarse the Peletier family is at their own separate campfire. Looking around I don't see the Dixon brothers. Which is kinda weird since they got the food, or most of it.

     Shane smiles at me, and I glare back at him. Lori just shakes her head like she was disappointed in my attitude toward Shane. Instead of glaring at her I give her a little wink and a smile she would know was fake.  She turned to Shane and started talking to him. Probably about me, because he keeps looking at me. Who gives a crap?

   I turn around to look at the Dixon's camp. When I do I make eye contact with Merle, and he squints his eyes at me, like he's trying to figure something out. I turn away quickly not wanting to give him an idea that i snooped through their campsite.

I keep stealing glances at the brothers, trying to hear what they're saying, but they're to far away. I look back again, but this time they're both looking at me. I look away as quickly as I can, but I know they both saw me. maybe they'll just think I was wondering why they are by themselves, probably not though they seem smarter than that.

I'm pretty tired, and Apollo looks tired to, probably from his hunting debut. I stand up, and Apollo follows suit. As I start to leave Shane calls after me.

"Mason, where are you going? Do we need to have another discussion?"

I tense up a little at the thought of that.

"I'm going to bed. If you will so graciously allow it."

I hear snickers from around the camp except from Lori, Shane, and Ed peletier. I hear loud laughing from the Dixon camp, not from the younger one, but I can see a little smirk on his face.

I lazily walk into the tent and lay down to sleep, but I don't stay asleep for long, cause I have another nightmare. It was about my dad coming back, and beating me in front of everybody.

They didn't do anything except for laugh. I don't understand why I am so scared anymore. He left me and he isn't coming back, and if he does Apollo would eat him alive if he tried to touch me. I left the tent quietly looking around for signs of anybody still awake, but I don't see any. I sit by the small flame of the campfire in the same position with Apollo as my pillow.

Forget what Shane said, I'm going for a walk. I quietly go into the woods. It's too dark to see anything, so no hunting, but I still can set up snares. At the end of the night I have five set up and am working on the sixth.

"Well Apollo, we better get back before Ranger Roy catches us gone... again."

When we get back to camp I quietly get back in my sleeping bag so it looks like I'm sleeping. Just in time to, cause about ten minutes later Lori gets up and looks around like she's trying to hide something, and leaves the tent. When she comes back a half hour later she wakes up Carl, I pretend that I am asleep so she won't question why I'm awake. Well, time to start another day filled with boredom.

Did y'all see the mid season finale wasn't it amazing😱😱😱😱