25. Dumbest Idea Ever

"Get your scrawny butt over here!"

He orders scarily, and with a stern voice. I get up from my spot on the ground, and slowly walk over to him. My heart is beating for what feels like a thousand times a minute, and I'm sweating terribly.

He stands towering over me with his arms folded, and a hard look on his face. I'm wishing I would drop dead on the spot. I look over to the direction of the others camp to make sure nobody is coming, when I don't see anybody I continue walking closer to the angry redneck.

When I'm within grabbing distance, he grabs my upper arm, and pulls me the rest of the way.

I don't realize what's about to happen till he turns me to the side, and bends me forward. I immediately realize what he's about to do, and struggle, trying to get away.

He doesn't say anything, just puts his leg out and pushes me over it. I have to grab it to keep from falling over on my face.

      I can't help but yelp, as he gives me three firm swats. They don't necessarily hurt, it's more of a shock.

     When he finally does let me up, I immediately look at the ground to avoid eye contact. I expect him to yell at me, which is exactly what he does.

"I've been lookin everywhere for you, I was worried you got hurt! What the heck were you thinking!? What were you trying to do get yourself killed!? Well? Answer me!"

I'm still kinda shocked, and struggling to get it out.

"I...I, I'm sorry, I didn't think about it."

I say trying to get my breath back to normal.

"You're darn right ya weren't thinking bout it! Do you know how stupid that was?"

He scolds harshly.

"Yes. I won't do it again, I swear it."

He scoffs.
"You're darn right ya won't, cause if you even think about doing something so stupid and dangerous again!" He doesn't finish the sentence and doesn't have to.

I can't help but let a tear slip out. He takes a rag out of his back pocket, and hands it to me. It looks kinda dirty, but I don't complain. I wipe off the tear, and the one that replaces it.

"Blow." He orders in a gentler tone.

    Once I do, he waits till I'm a little more composed before continuing his lecture, only in a bit of a more gentle tone.

    He grabs my biceps, and pulls me a little closer, bending down to my level.

"Ya could of been killed. Do you understand that?" I nod but stay silent.

"Why'd ya do it then?" I take a breath before answering, and he waits semi-patiently,

"I guess I wanted to prove myself." I say looking down.

    Another dumb tear slips out, but Daryl wipes it away with his thumb.

"Listen to me Mason, ya don't need to prove nothing. People can tell that you can take care of yourself, but they don't want you to."

"Why? I'm not Their kid,"

"You ain't anybody's kid, and they want ya to trust that they are gonna take care of ya. I think it's time ya start listening, and stop tryin ta git yourself killed. Ya hearin me?"

   I nod.

"Yes sir," I say respectfully.

"Let's get back to camp, got us some squirrels to skin before I leave."

    I snap my head up towards him.

"Leave?" I say forgetting all bout Merle.

"I'll be back, maybe even sometime tonight... And before you ask no you can't come, in fact if I catch you anywhere near that van, It won't be a good day for you?"

   I look down and shake my head In acknowledgment.

"Come on then."

     I walk a step behind him, rubbing my probably bloodshot eyes and sniffing.

"Stop crying, it's over now, no need for anymore tears." Daryl instructs firmly.  It's kinda comforting knowing he isn't even that mad anymore.

    everybody has said their goodbyes Daryl gets up, and starts to walk towards the rest of the group. He stops and turns back around walking towards me.

"behave yourself, no goin in the woods, or down to the quarry without an adult. You understand?" I nod.

"Yes, I understand."

"I'll ask Lori when I get back." I just shake my head in acknowledgment.

"See ya later." I watch him walk towards the van, but not before he turns around once more,

"And eat somethin... ya too scrawny!" I can't help but smile.

"Bye Daryl." I yell exasperated, and he smirks. I roll my eyes, and chuckle to myself.

     Daryl's been gone about a half hour, and I'm bored of skinning squirrels by myself. I get up, and look around not seeing much to do. I start to walk towards the RV to see if Dale's busy, but get stopped by Shane on my way.

"Mason remember those chores I told ya bout?" I sigh quietly to myself.

"Yes, what are they?"

"Well first off is helping Carl and I catch frogs, down at the quarry," he says with a gleam in his eye.

"Sounds like some pretty hard work." I say with a smirk.

"Oh it is, trust me, we're heading down right now."

I follow him and Carl down to the quarry. I see a group of ladies, and Sophia doing laundry. A few feet away Ed sits smoking, and wearing a nasty looking wife beater... How fitting. He's doing nothing, like usual. Guess there's no use tryin to change something I can't.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!!🎄🎁☃️🎅🏻