42.The Farm

"Carl's been shot... Carl's been shot... Carl's been shot...."
   the words have been ringing in my ears since before I got in the car to meet up with the others. I've barely spoken a word, it's kinda like I'm numb. First Sophia, and now this?

I'm surprised Daryl made me go on without him. He did put up a little fight at first. I know because I ease dropped from in the RV. Dale talked him into making me go. Said something about needing a doctor to look at me, just to be sure they treated the heat exhaustion correctly.

    I know Daryl was worried, because he didn't know if it was a trap. At the same time he didn't want me on the highway, what if another herd came through. When he told me I was gonna go, I asked him to change his mind... He just snapped, and lectured me for a few seconds about listening when I'm told to do something.

That kinda put me in a bad mood. I hate getting yelled at, daddy yelled all the time. Daryl doesn't yell a lot, but when he does people tend to listen more.

"Hey Mase, how ya holding up?"

    Glenn tries to make conversation... again. I just shrug, I feel unable to talk at the moment. Daryl's not here nobody's gonna make me. Glenn sighs, but doesn't try again.

      I think we're getting close, cause I see a barn with a big fence. Like that's gonna do crap against a herd. They'll break it down before we have a chance to run. I don't feel like talking so I don't voice my opinion.

Glenn turns back to me,

"Mase we don't know what's gonna happen. I just want you to remember Carl's gonna be tired let's not disturb him... alright?"

I just nod, and he sighs.

      When the car stops I stay in it, remembering what Daryl told me.

'Mason Listen when you get there get on the floor, and wait for Glenn to give you the okay to get out of the car.' Glenn and T get out. I hear Glenn talking with some lady. It's muffled so I can't hear exactly what their saying.

It's been a few minutes before the door opens revealing Glenn, who looks like he saw a ghost. When I look over to the porch I see a pretty girl.

    Well Glenn didn't see a ghost, but I guess he thinks he saw an angel. I smirk, and look at him.

"Hey Glenn?" I wait until he looks at me.

"You got a little drool right there." He gives me a playful glare, and pokes my ribs.

"Come on Mase, she's gonna checkup on ya."

"I'm fine," I give a little stomp.

"Well, then you've got nothing to worry about." He says with a smile, and nudges me to walk in front of him.

"Hey there little one... what's your name?"

    I don't answer her because I'm hiding behind Glenn's legs.

"This is Mason, she's shy," Glenn says for me. Maggie smiles.

"Well, I think maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich might help a little."   

     That makes me poke my head out from behind Glenn. Maggie is really pretty, and she seems real nice too. I wonder if my momma was like this? She holds out her hand for me to take, but I don't. I just look down, and wait for her to start walking.

I watch as she makes the sandwich. She certainly isn't going sparingly on the condiments. I sit down, and she pours a glass of milk, and puts a chocolate chip cookie on the plate next to the sandwich.

"Mason?" Glenn asks expectantly, and I smile at Maggie.

"Thank you."

"Your welcome sweetheart. Glenn mentioned the heat exhaustion, you seem alright now. I think all you needed was some food and a goodnights rest. Before bed I'll fill the bathtub... I think Beth may have some bubbles,"