12. I Ain't Your Kid

When we get back to camp, Shane starts marching over to the truck. Daryl gets out, but before I can Shane grabs my arm and yanks me out of the vehicle. It didn't hurt that bad, but I couldn't brace my self for it cause I was holding on to my towel.
He immediately starts yelling,

"Where were you? Huh what did I say,"
He shakes me, hard. I am gripping the towel to try to get my hands to stop shaking. I don't cry but I'm on the verge of it.

"Well! I tried to talk to ya, but that doesn't seem to be working. What do you think I should do?"

He says theoretically.

"Go to your tent and put some clothes on, I'll deal with you when I cool down!"

   I start to walk away, but stop when Merle speaks up.

"she was helping skin squirrels so that you could have a meal to eat. She tried to find ya but Couldn't. I wonder where you were at?"

He says in a way making it obvious he knew. Shane glared at him,

"It doesn't matter I've talked to her about this enough, she's gonna have to learn to listen. She should've stayed at camp."

I don't like the way he's talking about me needing to learn. Whenever daddy said that it basically was a better way of saying I was gonna get beat. Daryl speaks up this time which is rare for him.

"She was covered in blood, and smelled like a walker."

I guess that's one of the infected. Shane doesn't say anything, but Merle does,

"Say if ya care bout her much as ya say ya do. when was the last time she had a bath, or actually ate more than a few bites, or even slept the whole night?"

Shane stands there looking kinda confused.

"That's what I thought," Merle scoffs.

   "Ya know what both of you need to stay away from her. Your not gonna do anything good for her except help her disobey... and as for you" He turns to me.

"I thought I told ya to go get changed." He says sternly.

   I turn around and walk quickly back to the tent, and change slowly. Hoping that if Shane comes he has to leave for a while longer.

   Maybe if I get back to the Dixons before Shane comes they can help me. No, I don't need them. They were probably just trying to get into a fight with Shane anyway, they don't care about a little girl. I guess a part of me wishes they did. I'm more scared of Shane than I am of anybody. He seems like the kind of guy you don't want to mess with, but so do Daryl and Merle.

   It's been about ten minutes. Shane still hasn't come back too "deal with me" I'm getting tired of waiting for him to come beat me, I would rather just get it over with. I get up to peak outside the tent, and I see Shane sitting by the fire with Lori talking quietly. Maybe he forgot about me, its doubtful but I can't help but hope he has. He and Lori both stand up, and see me looking at them. I sit on my sleeping bag quickly hoping they will leave me alone.

Unfortunately a few seconds later I hear Shane.

"Hey Mason come on out of there."

I don't move, and he sighs.

"Do ya need me to come in and git ya?"

That will probably make things worse, so I get up, and walk out slowly.

   When I get out it's not just Shane there, Lori is as well. I refuse make eye contact with either of them.

"Mason, Mason look at me" Shane orders. I sigh and slowly look at him.

"Why do ya keep running off, and not listening to a word we say?"

I just shrug and look back down.
He gets on one knee, and grabs my arms gently. I still flinch back a little, but he just holds a little tighter.

"Look at me. I want an answer." He says sternly, yet gently.

" I don't know, y'all wasn't around to ask. So I went with the Dixons to get washed up."

I say quietly, he looks back at Lori.

"Honey if ya can't find us ya need to wait till one of us gets back, we were worried sick."

This makes me angry. Why am I stayin here getting told off by strangers, who forced me to come with them in the first place. Shane must've seen my face.

"Don't look at us like that we're doing this for your own good. Ya did wrong, and now there's consequences that are gonna take place."

He stands up and takes a step back next to Lori.
Oh great here it comes. His voice turns stern again,

"young lady I've warned ya about this enough. In light of this your not allowed anywhere without Lori or I with you. That means at the campfire, to put ya to bed, and anywhere else. Secondly your gonna be going to bed an hour earlier than anyone else, and lastly your not allowed anywhere near the Dixons camp. Do I make myself clear?"

I am glaring at them both, and don't answer.

"If ya need a reminder to follow any of the rules I can give ya a helping hand."

I know what that means. But I don't care I'm not their kid, and I certainly am not gonna follow their stupid rules.

"Are we clear?" Lori says slowly and clearly. I think for a second.

"No."

They both look taken back after being told no by an eight year old. Shane looks even scarier.

"What'd you just say to me?" He asks dangerously calm.

"You heard me."

I reply with sass. He takes a step towards me, but I don't move.

"I ain't your kid, I don't want to be here, and I'm sure not gonna listen to any more of this bull crap."

Lori looks mortified, while Shane just looks angry. He steps forward and grabs my arm.

"Lori give us a few minutes." He says dragging me into the woods.

Before he can make a move to do anything to me, I turn around fast. I kick him as hard as I can. He keels over in pain, but I don't wait to watch anything else. I run, but this time there's nobody to grab me and hold me back. I make it past our tent and the RV straight to the Dixon camp. Only to find nobody there, And their weapons gone, they must've gone hunting. Great what now?