4. I Guess Freedoms Overrated

I had the wind knocked out of me, and it took me a minute to get my breathing back to normal. A man offered me a hand up, but I refused it and pushed myself up.

    When I stood up I dusted myself off. I was about to glare at the man till I saw who it was. Officer Shane Walsh, the officer who tried to question me, he luckily didn't recognize me otherwise he would probably not have helped me. Seeing as I didn't give him the time of day last time we met.

"Is there a problem boys?"

he asked the two men that looked about ready to shoot me. I guess a smart tip with them is 'don't touch their ride.' The older one just retorted.

"we're just havin ourselves a little powwow."

I rolled my eyes. Office Shane seemed less than amused.

"with an eight-year-old?" I looked at him for a minute he turned to me

"hello Ms. Mason," he said kindly.

   I wasn't buying into the whole sweet act, and replied with a mocking bow.

"officer Shane."

He gave me a stern look and replied.

"let's not get off on the wrong foot here, I'm trying to help you, and I expect nothing, but respect in return." I smiled at him, and kicked him where I knew it would hurt.

He groaned and bent over a little, and I took the opportunity to make a run for it.

   Of course I didn't get more than a few feet before the younger redneck grabbed me by my arms and swung me around making me stay in place.

"Let me go! NO NO!" MI screamed not caring who heard me.
   Officer Shane grabbed my shoulders, and shook me.

"stop it right now," He said firmly.

Then a woman with brown hair came over,

"what is going on we need to move."

I was still lashing out anyway I could, then I remember that my gun was in my belt. There was no way they'd let me keep it. I stopped struggling knowing that I would get away later.

"There ya go, just calm down nobody's gonna hurt ya," Officer Shane soothed.

"let's get the others that are coming and head out." He ordered.

   He then let me go, I untucked my shirt hiding my gun.

"Mason where's your daddy? Why are you all alone? And why the heck did you kick me?"

I glared at him and cross my arms like I did at the police station.

"if you don't tell me where your daddy's at I'm gonna have to make you come with us, I can't leave you out here with nobody."

"He left, and you can't make me do anything I don't wanna do, Ranger Roy," I replied sassily.

Turning around to see the rednecks looking at me obviously quite impressed with my attitude. I just glared at them, and walked in between them bumping into both of them.

"Oh really," officer Shane replied.

Before I had time to reply he grabbed me by my waist, and threw me over his shoulder. I kicked and screamed and struggled against him, but he was just to strong.

   He practically tossed me into the back of his car where there was a boy. He wasn't very big, but he was older than me. Up front sat a lady with brown hair, she was pretty, but looked like she would try to be the motherly type to me. Something I couldn't stand.

She turned to me with a sweet smile.

"Hi sweetheart what's your name?" I only glared at her, and began kicking officer Shane's seat. He gave me a stern look and told the lady,

"That's Mason Young, she's a little stubborn, and if she doesn't stop kicking my seat I am gonna pull this car over, and stick her on the roof."

    The boy laughed way to much for a joke that wasn't even that funny, and so I turned to him and quietly told him all about my knife in my belt, going into detail.

He stopped laughing and was about to tell on me when I said to him,

"snitches get stitches," he was quiet the rest of the ride to my delight.

When we finally stopped at a clearing Shane told us to wait in the car. I rolled my eyes and got out anyway despite what's her name telling me not to. I looked around and saw my way of escape I started for it, but Shane stepped in front of me.

   "It seems to me that I might have told a little somebody to stay in the car," he said sternly.

"Whatever"

   I rolled my eyes, and he took a step towards me.
I jumped back, but he grabbed my arms and shook me so I would stop struggling.

"Listen, I understand that you are scared and you don't really know me, but I'm a police officer and I'm gonna help you. You just have to let me okay?"

Kinda like how you 'helped' me when I ran away. I felt like saying but decided to stay quiet.

"Okay?" He says like he's talking to a four-year old.

"Hey would ya stop pickin' on little girls, and actually do somethin,"

    a voice with a thick accent said. I turned to see one of the rednecks behind us a few feet.

"Well Merle I don't know how you were raised, but I was raised to respect my elders."

The man, Merle replies with a glare that would make a lion stand down,

"why don't you let her go back to the car so you can keep doing nothing."

Only he uses much more colorful language. Shane glared at him and turns to me with a look that wasn't as scary as Merle's, but I wasn't about to say anything as he points to the car.

I stomp away and turn one last time and stretch for a minute just to let him know I wasn't gonna do it right away. When he started walking towards me I jumped in a little quicker. The woman turned to me and said,

"I'm Lori grimes, and this is my son Carl."

    I ignored her and looked out the window. So much for freedom now I've got a power hungry officer, an annoying "motherly" lady, and a whiny boy next to me. My day just keeps getting better doesn't it.