39. Voices

I'm currently sitting in the truck's bucket bored outta my little mind. I guess Shane stayed back. I hear the sound of a dog barking, and almost cry in relief. Maybe Daryl will let me get outta this stinkin' truck. I gotta look really sorry. I lean up against the truck, and look down with a pitiful look.
The next thing I know Daryl is standing there with crossed arms, and an amused expression, I can tell he's trying to mask.
"Mason," He says my full name, and sternly.
"Yes sir?" I ask respectfully I'm already in enough trouble as is.
"Why did I make you stay here, in time out?"
"Because I disobeyed you."
"And?"
"And... ran into the woods."
"And?" He says getting irritated.
"And...?" I look at him for help.
He sighs, and reaches over grabbing my biceps, and lifting me up, over the side of the truck. I didn't realize how small I feel next to him. He could probably snap me like a twig. He puts me on my feet, but doesn't let go of my arms. He gives me a small shake,
"Mason... you put yourself in danger three times just today... you scared me to death every time." I look down... I knew how bad it scared me, but I didn't realize what it did to him.
He grabbed my chin, and made me look at him.
"Masie, don't you ever... ever! Do that again, do you understand me little girl?" He says urgently, and I nod my head. Now I do feel bad, and a tear skips out the corner of my eye, but Daryl wipes it away with his thumb.
"I'm sorry Daryl..."
"Ya better be, cause next time I ain't gonna let you off so easy."
"Yes sir."
"Me and a lot of the others are gonna go look in the woods for Sophia..." I cut him off
"You didn't find her? I thought for sure Apollo could track her... I guess it was a fool idea."
"No, it was a good idea, he tracked her all the way to the creek,but he couldn't track her past it cause the water. Don't worry we'll find her." Can I come with you?"
"No... I want you to stay here... keep looking in cars. But your gonna stay in Dale's sight... alright."
"Yes sir."
     He starts to walk away, and I follow him. Apollo runs up to me, and almost tackles me in excitement.
"Hey boy! Good try," I praise.
     "Masie, change of plans, me and Rick are gonna go lookin', your gonna stay with Lori, alright." I nod my head, and walk with him over to Lori. She smiles at me, and I give a little nod.
"Be good, ya hear?"
"Yes sir."
"So Mason, carl is looking in the cars over there, do you wanna help him?"
"No." She looks taken back, and a little irritated,
"Well what do you want to do?"
"I wanna look for something special for Sophia, for when they find her." Lori looses the look, and kneels over a little.
"Sweetheart, you know that wasn't your fault... right?" I shrug, and walk to a different car. I hear Lori sigh, but ignore it... of course it was my fault, I could've found our way back. I just sat there, and let her go alone.
     I'm looking through cars when I see a pink bag. Hmmm Sophia likes girly stuff, when I opened it up There was a dress covered in blood. Maybe I should just keep looking. No clothes that's just boring... she already has a doll. What should I try to find her?
      I've been looking for a while, and all I've found is a few things for me. Some clothes, a coloring book and some broken crayons, and a pocket knife. It's pretty sharp, so I think I'll keep that to myself.
     "No! You can't leave her out there!" I snap my head up when I hear Carol's frantic sobs.
"LEAVE HER?!" I run over to them as fast as my short legs will carry me.
When I get there everybody seems to be on edge. Carol is sobbing into Lori, Rick and Daryl look irritated, and Shane looks emotionless... everybody else just looks lost.
"Daryl?" I say in a low quiet voice, he turns to me.
"Where is she?" I say so quietly I'm surprised he hears me. He just looks down, and shakes his head.
I turn around, and walk back to the truck. It's hot out, but I don't care, I slam the door as hard as I can. I'm responsible for all this, Carol is gonna hate me now, as well as Carl. I can't imagine how he's feeling, Sophia was his best friend... now he's stuck with me.
I can't breathe thinking about the people that I've left behind, first Merle, and he's dead... now Sophia. I open the door of the truck, and start kicking the tire as hard as I can. I'm letting out grunts, as the force of my kick takes my breath away.
"Ya know, kicking a tire ain't gonna do crap." I jump around to come face to face with non other than Merle Dixon.
"You're not real... you died on that roof." He just smiles,
"Nobody can kill Merle but..."
"Merle... and you did... you, are the only reason Rick cuffed you. If ya had just stopped being a jerk to T, and everybody else none of this woulda happened."
"Getting real tough ain't ya. Knowing I'm not really here. If I was here you wouldn't even be talking."
"But you ain't here, I'm daydreaming."
"You know who else ain't here, Sophia... I wonder who's to blame for that?" He says sarcastically.
"Mason? Who are ya talkin' to?"
I whip around when I realize it isn't merle speaking.
"Daryl! Um I was just... well nothing." I look down. He raises an eyebrow,
"Really? It sounded like you were arguing with yourself... or something else." He looks around,
"I wasn't doin' Nothin'." I insist
"Right... come on back, I want you with me just in case somethin' else goes wrong." I nod, and start to follow him, but hear another voice before I leave.
      "I think you know what you need to do. After all this is your fault." I whip around, and yell back,
"No it ain't!"
     I whip back around when I feel a hand on my shoulder. It scares me so bad, and I take a swing at the big figure. It effortlessly wraps it's hand around my small wrist
"Mason! What's going on with you?... and I know it ain't nothin'!" I stutter over my words, I'm starting to scare myself.
"I... I just don't know." I say chocking back a sob, I'm not gonna cry again.
"It's alright, you're safe, and we're going to find tha' little girl, Ya hear."
I nod, and walk after Daryl. When I look over I see Merle sitting on the hood of an abandoned car shaking his head, and smirking.