three

betty woke up on the cold, wooden floor she had cried herself to sleep on the night prior. she was currently dreading going to school, because she now had to ignore her best friend. right when they began to patch the rift between them, betty had to go and ruin it.

with that thought she dragged herself off the floor and began getting ready and overthinking how the day would go.

gray clouds still engulfed riverdale, adding to the dark aura surrounding the once lively, and bright betty cooper.

betty made her way into the high school. it felt worse than a walk of shame, not that betty would know what that was like. she just wanted to turn around and get as far way from the high school, that held archie andrews as she could.

to most betty looked the same on the outside, but if you really paid attention you could see that something was off. she was broken, but there was only one thing different about her appearance.

her normal tight, high ponytail wasn't anywhere to be found. her hair fell around her shoulders in her natural curls. it was weird seeing her like this.

in a way betty's hair reflected her mood. when her spirits were high, so was her ponytail. when she felt down, her ponytail was down there with her. this however was different. she wasn't just down, she was heartbroken. she didn't have enough in her to put her hair in a simple ponytail.

she peered into the student lounge through the doorway. she was hoping and praying that a specific redhead wasn't inside, but of course he was.

betty made a beeline for the blue and gold office, before anyone could notice her standing there. well she thought no one had noticed her, but to her dismay that certain redhead followed closely behind.
           ***
she set her books down on one of the old, dusty tables. the blue and gold had remained untouched since jughead left riverdale high for the southside. betty and jughead hadn't spoken much in the past week, and it was killing her.

she had been doing everything to keep her mind off of jughead. she really wanted to see him, but she just wasn't up for unavoidable arguing at the moment. of course she wanted to work things out, but she didn't know if they would be able to this time.

"betts, are you okay?" his voice was like a million daggers in her heart.

she squeezed her eyes shut, hoping this was all one of her twisted nightmares.

"i'm fine." she grabbed her things, and pushed past archie. she let a tear slip from her eye when her back was turned to him.

archie watched the girl next door walk away from him, and he could tell something detrimental was wrong.
                     ***
"he's just been so unreasonable lately." veronica droned on to a very uninterested betty.

she began to pull at a loose thread on the sleeve of her blush sweater. betty couldn't focus on veronica at the moment. her mind was elsewhere, and by elsewhere she meant a certain charming redhead.

"B, are you even listening to me?" veronica questioned as betty focused back in on her surroundings. the chatter of the noisy cafeteria filled her ears once again.

"i'm sorry, i didn't mean to zone out. i've just been distracted lately." she said sheepishly as veronica let out a frustrated groan.

"well you're not the only one, and you'd know who i was talking about if you cared enough to listen to me." veronica's voice was laced with venom when she snapped at the exhausted blond. she stormed off, wrapped up in her own rage.