twenty seven

archie shined his flashlight down the long dark hallway. being at the school was different at night, the emptiness was eerie and the silence deafening. the only sound was the echoing of their shoes against the checkered, tile floor.

"i don't like this. why exactly are we doing this?" archie whispered.

"we need to get lucas's file." betty whispered back.

"but it's creepy here. how about we come back during the day." betty looked at him like he had three heads.

"you want us to come back during the day, when the school is full of students and teachers? and why the hell are you whispering if we're the only people here?" betty whispered back.

archie cleared his throat, "i'm not whispering, you are."

"oh my god, just help me get weatherbee's door open." betty rolled her eyes playfully.

"what do you need me to do?"

"press this bobby pin down in the lock." betty instructed him.

archie stuck it in the lock, and held down while betty wriggled another bobby pin around above it. the door clicked open after a few seconds. they opened it to reveal principal weatherbee's small, dark office. there were two large file cabinets at the back of the room full of files on every student at riverdale high, two large file cabinets that they had to go through all by themselves.

"okay, you look in that cabinet i'll look in this one." betty said as she walked to the one on the left of weatherbee's desk.

she began flipping through file after file, seeing as they weren't organized in any specific way. she sighed as nothing came up in the first drawer, and moved to the second.

"have you found lucas's yet?" betty asked as she went back to her cabinet.

"not yet, these are the least organized drawers i've ever seen." archie muttered disappointedly, causing betty to giggle.

"i'll let you know if i find anything." betty said.

"ok, let's just hurry this up as much as possible. it's creepy in here." archie shuddered.

"oh my god! i found it." betty pulled the large folder out and laid it on the desk.

"ok look for anything about his adoptive family, or medical history."

the two started flipping through the thick folder. betty skimmed through the pages until something caught her eye.

"here's his current and previous addresses. write those down." she said to archie, and he obeyed.

"betty, i think someone's coming." archie looked out the small window into the hallway.

betty began flipping through pages frantically. she needed to find something that could prove he was the one doing this, the one ripping her life apart at the seams.

"betty, we need to go now." both their hearts were racing at unhealthy speeds.

"hold on, archie just give me one minute." betty could now hear the footsteps bouncing down the hallway.

"we don't have a minute we need to go, now!" he whisper screamed.

betty stopped flipping pages as she came across what she was looking for.

"mental health and medical history." she whispered under her breath.

"take a picture, we need to leave or we'll get caught. then probably expelled." betty took a quick picture before shutting the file.

she ran to the file cabinet, and shoved it in, slamming the drawer closed. she ran to the window, which was now the only way of escape, and threw it open.

"archie, come on." she threw her leg over the windowsill.

he was standing next to the desk staring at something laying open on top of it.

"archie, what is it? we need to go." betty hopped down of the window, and walked over to him.

"it's your file, weatherbee had it out on his desk." betty grabbed the file, and looked him in the eye.

"we need to go, right now."

betty clambered our the window, her feet hitting the ground, only a few feet, below them with a thud. archie followed behind, sliding the window closed gently once he was on the ground.

"come on, let's get out of here."
   ***
lucas entered the dark office, moving swiftly and stealthily. he walked over to the desk sitting in the middle of the room, and his eyes widened.

it was gone, betty's file was gone. he grunted in frustration as he stormed out of the office, slamming the door shut behind him. he needed that damn file, even if he had to pry it out of betty's cold, dead hands.