five

the bell on the door rang as a familiar figure entered the cozy diner. betty looked up, and was greeted by jughead's cold, expressionless face. her smile subsided as she noticed he wasn't excited to see her.

"jug." she got out of the booth she had been sitting in to hug him. she wrapped her arms around him. the desperateness she put in the hug was nowhere near returned she pulled away slowly, her mood was instantly dampened. why was jughead not excited to see her?

they slid into the booth, jughead already looking uninterested, and betty looking like her heart was being stomped on.

"so what did you want to tell-" jughead was cutoff by betty's ringtone.

he rolled his eyes as she checked the caller id and hesitantly declined.

"who was it?" jughead asked.

"no one important." she smiled weakly.

"okay, so what did you-" he was cutoff once again by the lollipop ringtone.

"you know what, i'm just going to get this really quick. it'll be two seconds." betty reassured him as she slid out of the booth.

"just hurry up. i'm in a rush." the bell rang as betty walked out of the small diner.

"what? what do you want?" betty yelled into the phone.

"watch your tone, betty. i could kill everyone you care about in the blink of an eye." betty scoffed.

"but you wouldn't." she said confidently.

"and why wouldn't i?" the deep voice came from the phone.

"because then i'd have nothing to live for, i wouldn't be your little pawn anymore. you'd have to find a new person to torture." she yelled as she went to hang up.

"tell him anything, and i'll kill him. he'll be dead before your pretty, little head hits your pillow." betty dung her nails into her hand.

"no, no that's not fair, you can't do that." she tried to steady her voice.

"but i can, and i just did elizabeth. i'm in control, this is my game. not yours, you are mine." the dial tone rang, and betty dug her nails deeper into her skin.

she collected herself and walked back inside, to her impatient boyfriend. he stood up.

"just tell me why i'm here, so i can leave." jughead said.

"it doesn't even matter, you can go." betty said as her fingernails went back into her palms.

"are you fucking serious, betty? you made me come all the way over here for nothing!" he slammed his fist down on the table, cashing betty to flinch and attracting a few nervous glances.

"i'm sorry." she said numbly.

"really? that's all you have to say for yourself." his eyes, stance, and voice all held intense malice.

betty didn't know why he was so upset with her all time, but she didn't have enough energy to care anymore.

"what else do you want me to say, jughead? you're mad at me all the time, you never make time to see me, so what? huh? tell me what to say, and i'll say it." she sat down in the booth once again, her eyes void of life.

"don't try to pin my temper on me, you're the one who causes it. maybe if you acted like a adequate girlfriend for once i wouldn't be so mad all the time."

betty stayed silent, but finally looked up to meet his eyes. where there was resentment in his there was emptiness in hers, and where he held spite, she held tears.