twenty nine

"i'm staying away from him. what do i have to do now?" betty's voice wasn't fear free anymore. it was back to how it had been at the beginning of their phone calls, shaky and terror-filled. without archie she'd lost her bravery.

"i have one final task for you, elizabeth, the be all to end all." betty's breath caught in her throat.

"final?" she questioned hopefully.

"final." the black hood confirmed.

"what is it? what do i have to do?" she spoke with urgency.

"you need to figure out who i am before sunrise, or i will kill everyone you care about. your mom, the andrews', veronica, cheryl, kevin, reggie, all of them." tears filled betty's eyes to the brim.

"how am i supposed to do that? i've been trying for weeks, and it's already night." she sounded defeated.

"start in the blue & gold office at riverdale high, your first challenge will be there. there will be 3 challenges in total. if you can pass all three, you will learn my identity, and save your friends and family." betty's head thoughts swam, and she suddenly felt slightly dizzy.

"you are allowed one ally, it cannot be archie andrews, choose wisely."

"reggie, i choose reggie." betty was already running out of the house.

"he'll be waiting outside the high school in five minutes. you'd better hurry betty, the sun doesn't stay down for long in riverdale."
    ***
"betty! betty, what's going on? are you okay?" reggie asked as she ran up the front steps of riverdale high to where he was, "i got your text."

"what? i didn't send you a text." she said while trying to catch her breath.

"yes you did, it said 'i'm at the school, i'm in trouble. wait on the steps.'" he took his phone out of his pocket, and showed her the message.

"reggie i didn't send you that text."

"then who did?" he questioned.

"the black hood."

"wait, what!?"

she explained the past month or so's events as briefly as she could, and once she was sure reggie understood what needed to be done they ran inside the building.

she pulled a bobby pin out of her hair, and stuck it in the lock on the blue & gold door. after moving it around for a few moments there was a click, and the door creaked open.

"nancy drew strikes again." reggie raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"reg, this is no time for jokes." betty said as she rushed into the room, but she stopped when she saw a single envelope sitting in the middle of the wooden desk.

"noted." reggie swallowed hard as he eyed the envelope nervously.

"challenge 1." betty read the gold lettering on the outside of the envelope.

"open it." reggie prodded.

betty hesitantly pulled out a folded sheet of paper with instructions scribbled upon it.

"open the bottom drawer of the desk, and take out the contents." she read.

she set down the paper, and pulled open the desk drawer. her heart rate quickened at the sight. she pulled out a sharp dagger, and a silver chalice before reading the next line on the sheet.

"fill the chalice with either your blood, or your ally's." reggie's eyes widened.

"it's okay reg, i'll do it. i dragged you into this, and i'm not letting you get hurt because of me." betty picked up the blade, and held it to her hand.