twenty two

"what do you want?" betty repeated slowly.

"it's not what i want. it's who, and i want you, betty cooper. i want you to feel my pain, and you will. you'll feel it all soon." the deep voice yelled through the phone.

betty hung up the phone before the conversation could continue. she ran down the stairs, and looked around for a sticky note and a pen. she stuck the little piece of paper on the fridge, so alice wouldn't freak out when she wasn't there when she got home at an ungodly hour. she grabbed the car keys, but instead of leaving she shot back upstairs to her bedroom.

she glanced out her window. archie stood at his dresser, his back to betty. he must've woken him up when she snuck out. she thought about asking him to come with her, bringing archie would be a lot more entertaining than going alone.

she unlocked the window, and pulled it open before shoving the screen out. it fell to the ground below making a few clanging noises, but not enough to gain the boy next door's attention. betty glanced around her room, and noticed a glass bowl full of candy.

she took the bowl off her dresser, and made her way back to the window. the candy made a quiet clicking noise, as it hit the neighboring window. archie still hadn't heard it, so she threw another.

the boy's head snapped back, and he furrowed his brow when he finally saw her. he walked to his window, and pushed it up.

"betty? what are you doing?" he whisper yelled.

"i'm leaving." she stated simply.

"what do you mean you're leaving?" he looked at her like she was insane.

"i'm taking off for a day, maybe two." archie shook his head.

"what? why?" was all he could get out. he didn't think he'd be dealing with this right after waking up.

"i need to clear my head."

"where are you even going to go?" he was still trying to work this situation out in his head.

"i don't know, i just need to get out of riverdale. are you coming, or not?" she leaned out the window.

archie turned around, and rubbed his hands over his face thinking hard about the question.

"give me 2 minutes." he said before sliding his window closed.

she smiled triumphantly.
           ***
betty waited by the car patiently for archie. she looked up when the andrews' door opened and the redhead came out.

"you ready?" her giddy energy was infectious.

"you're crazy, betty cooper." he laughed.

she made her way to the drivers side, but archie put his hand out in front of her.

"and you're even crazier if you think i'm letting you drive." she put her hands up in surrender, and walked back to the passenger side.

"where to, miss cooper?" archie asked as he gripped the steering wheel.

"to our stars," betty rolled down the windows, "or to anywhere that's not riverdale."
           ***
the happy song blasting from the stereo was as intoxicating as the bottle of vodka in betty's hand and the wind whipping through the car. it tangled betty's hair, which she had left down for once, and nipped at her pink cheeks. she smiled at the riverdale sign as they zipped past it. she'd never felt more free in her life.

it was the summer when i saw your face, looked like a teenage runaway

the road was completely empty. they were the only two people who existed in that moment, and they were all each other needed. the headlights broke through the early morning darkness, allowing them to watch as they drove past the trees, and traveled farther into the darkness.