Chapter 85: Playing The Fool

I followed the guard into the darkness. The cool air brushed against my body making me shiver slightly. The sweat from training had made my garb slightly wet so even a faint breeze was oozing through to my bones . I breathed out a small breath of air and wrapped my arms around myself to stop from shivering.

" Are you alright?" the guard said from in front of me.

" Just a little cold" I responded as I rubbed my upper arms.

" I will take you to your residence to get changed first" the guard said as he undid his blue cape and passed it behind himself. I took it from his hands and fastened it on my body. The smell of his natural scent was strong but not overwhelming as it entered my nostrils.

[ He even smells nice. There must be something wrong with him! ]

There is no such thing as someone this good looking and gentlemanly who also smells nice. I spent the walk back out of the bamboo forest trying to pick out flaws but his strong back felt safe to stand behind and I found myself cursing from being unable to look away as his brown hair shined in the sparse moonlight.

[ Get a hold of yourself! ]

I felt like a child with a child's heart falling over a cute guy I knew nothing about. It was frustrating me. I thought back to how I argued with the princess earlier and walked out of my dorm like an idiot and sighed.

[ What do I do about that mess now? ]

" I guess we should head back first" I replied unwillingly after a while.

" You don't want to go back to your residence? " The guard said half listening as he used the sheath of his sword to tap the bamboo so he didn't trip in the dark.

It was at that moment I realised that he was struggling so without even thinking I told him to stop for a moment. He stood on the spot as I grabbed his hand without thinking startling him.

" I'd get us out of here consider it a thank you for the cloak" I said as I closed my eyes and focused my magic.

The trees hummed in sync as I swung the guard close to me and with my eyes still closed kept the both of us from hitting any plant matter on the ground or near us. Due to my Wood magic it was not even a cup of teas time before we were out and back on the grass patches.

It was then I noticed that there was a warm presence between my fingers. The guards hand was interlocked between mine and he was staring at me with a strange expression.

[ I .. without thinking... Please shoot me now. I am a moron! ]

I coughed to clear the weird air as I wondered if the soldier would ever talk to me again. I dropped his hand and put on a smile that didn't reach my eyes.

" Sorry... we were just a bit slow" I said sheepishly.

" You are an wood mage? Strange" the guard said as he ignored me and continued to walk forward as if nothing had happened.

I followed behind like a baby duck as his voice reverberated inside my head.

[ Strange? He thinks I am strange? ]

[ Strange how? ]

[ Is it a good strange? ]

[ WHY AM I THINKING LIKE THIS?! ]

In a matter of a day I was completely defeated by this handsome guy who spoke and acted like a games non playable character, I couldn't even tell what I liked about him but I couldn't look away.

We continued the rest of the journey back to my room in silence, him standing in front and me behind like a lost kitten. Since it was dark there was not many students around. Most would be in their dorms at this time studying.