FA:TS- Chapter 1

Chapter One

Dawn looked at her three paychecks as she entered the bank. She sighed having the simple security of a constant income. This was the one bank that she trusted to cash her checks for her. They knew her so well that they didn't even ask her for identification. An identification she had to manipulate every so often. She hated doing that too.

Today the bank was oddly packed. She didn't mind as she stood in line. She learned a long time ago that time was always ticking away. You don't need to stress over it. Things will be there if you stress or not, so just take everything in stride.

She laughed inside when she listened to the impatience around her. People were complaining at going no where in the line. That the tellers were taking too long with each customer. She didn't say anything because they could turn on her next. She didn't want to raise any eyebrows her way.

Thats also the reason she has three jobs. None paying her more than a few bucks over the minimum wage. She knew bosses leave their employees alone if they work hard and don't ask for much. And she would never ask for anything really. Just the occasional supply which her employers loved.

Her apartment was also low profile and mostly bare. She only had clothes, a bed, a table, some dishes, and food. Her whole apartment consisted of a single room for her bedroom and living room. Open to the room and off to the side was her tiny kitchen and next to that was a small bathroom with very little walk space.

She was always too afraid that someone would pay her too much attention. She had vowed that that wouldn't happen. Not again. She didn't want to know the consequences if someone pay her attention and found out about her. She didn't need that. Didn't need the threat of curiosity.

The line seemed to take forever to move, but she didn't care. Finally she was three people away from the front of the line. She stared around and noted like every time before the intricate detail of the marble of the walls of the bank. Loral leaves and grapes for patterns on the walls.

Her attention was drawn away from the walls when dark figures entered the bank. They wore black and navy ski masks and carried guns. Automatic weapons. Dawn groaned at their arrival. She knew this couldn't be good, for her or the bank and everyone in it.

It was stupid to hold up a bank in this city as well as many cities throughout the world. Creations protected people. Crime was rare and nobody robs a bank anymore. Its just plain insanity. They will be captured within twenty minutes max. Why even bother?

"Everyone on the floor now!" A man that looked like their leader demanded. Almost at once, customers and tellers were down on the ground. They pulled one teller up from the floor and demanded that she fill the trash bags he thrusted into her hands. She trembled as she tried to comply with his orders.

Dawn kept her head down and tried to stay out of sight as they did their thing. She wanted to remain hidden from everyone's sight and thoughts. She figured she could just slip out while no one was looking. She didn't want to give a statement or have anyone know her name. To everyone, she wasn't there during the robbery.

Everything seemed to go just fine for these men until the police showed up. The men made a quick decision and made everyone their hostage. Dawn groaned out loud and got a gun shoved in her face for it. She didn't think much of it. It didn't frighten her in the least.

Before long, the men's situation turned from bad to worse as two of Angel Kat's creations showed up. The men lost their minds in Dawn's eyes as they took their guns and started to shoot at the creations. What a stupid, idiotic thing to do. Creations were nearly indestructible.

Dawn's heart squeezed when one gunman's hand slipped and his gun fell toward some of the hostages. The creations couldn't get to the bystanders in time, but Dawn could. She swallowed her pride and raced to the people. Her voice roared a "no" as she force herself in front of the group.

In front of the group, she turned to the bullets as they seemed to slow, but this wasn't new for Dawn. She was used to seeing thing slow when she shifted her reality. This was why she didn't want to draw attention. What she could do. That she was born unique.

She took a deep breathe in and blew the breathe out toward the bullets. The air seemed to fizzle, sparkle, and crackle in front of her.

The bullets moved till they hit that part of the air. They all seemed to stop and freeze as everything turned back to normal reality. The bullet looked lodged in some type of gelatin that made up the air. Like a wall of shimmering gel.

Dawn narrowed her eyes as her arm sliced through that air not touching a bullet. Each bullet seemed to turn to dust as her hand passed. She had made their reality to be that of a thousand years had passed within a second. The rusty dust settled on the floor.

The men were so shocked by what they witnessed a normal person do that they dropped their guns immediately. They had given up their fight instantly. She could see their eyes were wide as they took her in.

The sound of the guns dropping to the floor snapped Dawn out of her trance like state. She couldn't believe what she just did. She threw away years of hiding. Years of keeping her head down and being invisible. She took in everyone around her. They were all staring at her as if she were a freak. But she was. More than they could ever know.

As police handcuffed the men, someone placed a hand on Dawn's shoulder. She didn't think as she went the opposite direction. She ran right to a wall knowing how to get away. The wall shimmered as its reality shifted and she slipped through that crack in reality sealing it right after her.

On the other side of the crack the great city park stretched out for her. She looked behind her to see an ordinary stone wall that was overshadowed by large weeping willows. The wall was only a small amount of wall and it was made to look like a ruin.

Dawn sighed as she walked through the park and to the small manmade lake on the park. It was her favorite place to go just to be. No one ever came up to her. The only draw back were all the couples. She couldn't have anyone because then they would want to know everything about her which she was not comfortable with. She doesn't have friends and she never put herself out there for a relationship of any kind.

By the lake under some more weeping willows, Dawn found a set of large rocks that she made her spot a long time ago. She perched herself on them and stared out at the water. A gentle breeze blew through her hair and the limp branches of the trees.

She scolded herself. She hated that she lost control and risked so much to save people. She just acted without thinking of the consequences of her actions or her life. She really didn't want to leave. She had settled down here and have been settled for nearly ten years now. She had a routine to her solitary life. People barely looked at her or even bothered her.

Click!!

Dawn turned to see a very good looking man with a camera in his hand. The camera was pointed right at her. He had taken her picture. She didn't even know how that picture would turn out.

She leaped to her feet and turned her back on him with her head a bit down. "Hey wait!" She heard him shout and his quick footsteps as he caught up with her. "Sorry to just take your picture like that, but the lighting and everything was perfect." He was smiling as he walked beside her.

He continued to try make conversation with her. He wanted to know what her voice sounded like. He didn't know what was coming over him or why he couldn't just let her go. He was just spell bound by her.

Dawn's frustration had enough as she turned to him. "Look. I'm a loner and no one pays attention to me. Please just leave me alone." Even though she looked mad and upset, he saw that she was hurting. That her statement pained her to say out loud. That she didn't want to be alone, but had to be.

His heart quickened at the sound of her voice. She finally spoke to him. "At least tell me your name. Just a name and thats it." He begged. He never begs to anyone. He learned not too long ago a major lesson from his once fiancee. He had treated her awful and she left. In the end she had done him more good than he deserved.

She huffed and crossed her arms not looking at him. "Dawn." With that she turned and started to walk away again. She wanted away and just be alone like she had been for so long.

"I'm Mark." He called out to her with a smile. She had told him her name and he loved it. He couldn't stop smiling as he watched her walk away from him. He held his camera and snapped one more picture of the girl that seemed to spark something in him.

~