FA: TS- Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty

They both groaned in dismay when the phone rang loudly interrupting their kissing that was so close to being more. So close to reaching the next level of their relationship. Mark sighed as he leaned down to the table next to them and lifted the receiver. He reluctantly answered the phone.

"Darlene residence." He managed a polite greeting though he really wanted to rip the person's head off. She was opening up. But he couldn't be bitter, she was still in his arms with her head rested on his shoulder. She was making delicate circles on his chest.

"Mark Darlene?" The voice on the other end was shaking.

"Yes. May I ask who's calling?"

"Stephan Mannings. I'm..." Stephan swallowed. "I'm Dawn's brother. I wanted to see if she was alright and if she will be willing to maybe...meet me..." Another swallow and it sounded like he was sweating. "Maybe for dinner."

Mark looked to Dawn tilting the phone away from his mouth. "It's your brother. He wants to know if you want to have dinner with him."

She squeezed closer to him as she turned her head to look at his neck while the side of her head laid on his shoulder. "I don't know." She looked up at Mark. "I might be able to go if you are there with me."

Mark smiled and kissed her forehead. He turned back to the phone. "That is acceptable. Tomorrow night?" Stephan had obviously heard and was replying before he could be asked.

"Tomorrow okay with you?" Mark asked and she nodded. "Tomorrow will be fine. Where did you want to have dinner?"

"I was thinking Roman Oasis. Do you know where that is?"

Mark smile. "Of course. Seven o'clock?"

"Sounds perfect. Please tell her that I have missed her and can't wait to see her again." Stephan's voice turned giddy and excited. Like years had melted off of him in an instant.

"I will. Till tomorrow night."

"Tomorrow night." Stephan hung up the phone and Mark followed suit.

Mark held Dawn and she sighed relaxing. He didn't realize that she had tensed when she heard that it was her brother on the line. He led her to the couch and they sat down.

"If you can't do it, I can call him back." She shook her head as she took his hand and played with his fingers. "Even if we get there and you feel you can't, we can turn right back around. We'll take everything in stride. Nothing needs be rushed."

"I know. Thank you." She slid her fingers between his just to see how it felt. She smiled lightly at how incredibly good it felt. "I'm sorry I kept running from you. I was just..."

Mark place a finger on her lips stopping her. "I understand you were frightened. You had every right to be frightened after what you have been through. You didn't want to get hurt." Mark tilted his head to the side with a thought. "Want to pick your outfit out for tomorrow night? It would be a normal modern girl thing to do. We can see what Patience brought you."

Dawn looked up. "Is that something girls really do?" She didn't keep up with trends nor was ever normal.

Mark smiled at his plan to distract her was working. He nodded. "They do." He said as he rose pulling her up with him. "Lets have some normal fun." He intertwined their fingers together again as he led her into the bedroom.

He picked up the bags by the handles and set them on the bed. "Now let us see." He looked back at Dawn. "Would you mind giving me a little runway show?" He laughed at a thought. "We could go to my studio and we could have fun."