FA:TS- Chapter 4

Chapter Four

Dawn felt tears stinging her cheeks. That memory always hurts. The betrayal and the terrible reality of her life. She was alone and would stay like that all these years.

She sighed. So many years have passed. Most of her family were most likely dead by now. She hadn't looked back since the day she left. How many years has it been now? Too many that she wished she could forget just a few of them.

She jolted as someone sat next to her. Her heart pounded as she turned to them. She swallowed when she saw the man who took her picture the other day. Mark.

Mark glanced beside him and smiled. "Hi." He raised a hand up to her. Dawn flinched away and he pulled back in response. He wondered why she did that. He thought thats maybe the reason she wants to be alone.

"Please just leave me alone." She whispered with a shaky voice.

Mark's heart squeezed for her. He couldn't leave her alone. Not like this. She looked like she needed someone. He wanted to be that someone for her. Without thinking, he pulled her to rest on his shoulder. Dawn froze but then relaxed against him.

His shoulder was so comfortable to her. She didn't want to give into him, but she couldn't help it. His scent had washed over her and relaxed her. She was also very tired from the lack of proper sleep the last few nights. Soon she felt herself drifting to sleep as he was petting her hair. With every tentative stroke of his hand, she relaxed even more and her eyes closed.

Mark felt Dawn fall asleep and heard her soft breaths as she dreamed. He shifted her to rest on his lap where she could be more comfortable. He looked over her as she slept.

It was mere chance that he saw her. He just came here to walk in the park. He left his camera behind at home. This was just coincidence that he noticed her and then decided to sit down next to her. He wanted to come to the place he saw her at last. She was in his dreams and his thoughts.

Mark moved a few strands of her hair away from her face and looked down at her. He closed his eyes and gave up. Patience was right. He had fallen in love at first sight. He knew nothing at all about this girl, but he was in love with her. He thought she was the most beautiful woman he saw. He did take her picture after all.

His cell phone started to vibrate in his pocket. He delicately pulled it out. "Mark Darlene here." He whispered into the device.

"Where are you that you're whispering?" Patience's voice came over the speaker.

"In the park. Dawn's asleep on my lap."

"Oh really? It's like ten in the morning."

"I think she is exhausted. I found her crying and I just had to comforted her." Mark spoke softly as he rubbed Dawn's back and she shifted slightly to place a hand on his leg. "She flinched when I went to wipe a tear away."

She sighed. "That doesn't sound good."

"I'm worried and I just met her the other day. I don't think she has anyone." Mark frowned at that thought. "Was there a reason you called?"

"Yeah. We need to reschedule to tomorrow for our appointment. Something came up."

"That's cool. See you tomorrow then."

"Bye Mark."

"Bye Pashe." He clicked his phone off and put it back in his pocket.

After sitting there on the rock as she slept, Mark decided he needed to take her somewhere more comfortable. He lifted her up and made sure her eyes were covered from the sunlight. He didn't want her waking and freaking out because he was holding her.

His neighbor Joseph saw him walking up the stairs with Dawn in his arms and helped open his door for him. Joseph had been sort of a friend for him. Especially when the whole thing with Patience happened. He never judged Mark and gave him advice.

"So who's this? New short term?" Joseph asked as he leaned over the couch. His messy sandy blonde curls falling down the sides of his face. His sky blue eyes appeasing the girl before him.

"Oi! Give her some space you perv." Joseph chuckled as he took a step back.

"You know she looks familiar. Wonder if she was at the bank robbery the other day?" He tilted his head to what he had said remembering that day. He had gone to withdraw some cash for his sister and ended up being a hostage. Nearly dying too because of the stupid gunman.

"She couldn't have been there. She was in the park at the time. I have the picture to prove it." The bank was fifteen city blocks away from the park.

"You know they're still scratching their heads looking for her. She just disappeared through a wall when that winged creation...Parro I think his name is, touched her shoulder to see if she was alright. She just bolted. When she passed me the air looked like it shimmered."

"Don't you have to go back home?" Mark could feel himself becoming territorial with her. He didn't like how close Joseph was to her. The looks of lust that his neighbor was giving Dawn whenever he looked over at her.

"Nah. So what's her name anyways?" Joseph took the hint and walked over to the bar to sit on a stool. He waited for the answer.

"Dawn."

Half his face quirked up. "That's all? Just her first name?" He was finding that funny.

"Do I need more?" Mark draped a blanket over her and she seemed to drift deeper into her dreams. He smiled at that, but it faded when her hand clenched the blanket. He so wanted to know what caused her to do that so much.

"You've fallen for her."

"Please Joe. There's some things I want to get done. I'll see you later. Bar? Same time?"

Joseph huffed and rose from his stool. "Yeah sure. But I will want to know all about mystery girl there." He walked over to the front door and looked back over his shoulder. "And you will tell me."

Mark waved his hand dismissing his friend. "Yeah. Sure sure." Joseph just shook his head and left closing the door behind him.

Mark sighed as he went to his home office and turned on his table light. He kept his door open and could still see Dawn sleeping on his couch. He sighed turning back and looking at his proofs with his magnifier. He would casually glance over to the couch and checked in on Dawn as he worked.

~