FA:TS- Chapter 30

Chapter Thirty

"Look out!"

Dawn snapped her eyes open to see a volleyball flying in the air towards them. She sucked in air as she raised her hand and shifted its reality to stay where it was. To freeze it mid-air. It was just a reaction to something flying their way that got her to move.

"Dude that is SO COOL!" Dawn didn't know the owner of that voice. She hadn't formally met everyone yet. This guy had fur that start at the tip of his nose and went up over his forehead where it spread out in a v-shape. The fur looked silver. Like from a grey wolf.

Dawn sighed as she got up. She reached into the shinning air and grasped the ball firmly. The shimmering disappeared as the ball reformed to normal reality. She could feel the eyes on her now. It wasn't something she wanted, but there they were. Judging her. Evaluating what she had just done.

Dawn snapped her eyes up when she felt Mark stand in front of her. He smiled warily at her as he took the ball from her. He leaned forward and kissed her. "If you want to go to the room, I'll understand. But I ask you to stay with me. They are just curious of you, nothing more."

He turned around and tossed the ball to the boy that spoke. He saw Targ sigh. "Come on guys! Lets continue playing." Targ winked at Mark who chuckled. Take it to be Targ to remind everyone what he told them before breakfast this morning. Dawn needs time.

Targ and Mark had pulled everyone to the front hall before they went into the dinning room this morning and told them that Dawn was an extremely private person. Beyond that she was incredibly shy. She didn't like attention as she spent most of her life alone and isolated from others. They wanted Dawn to open up and told them it might be a slow process. They needed to give her time. And above all, no touching. Touch to her was very private and intimate.

Barr actually came up with a good idea. A barbecue in the backyard. She could be apart of the fun and stay off to the side if she wanted to. She could watch and try to be comfortable being around them more.

So they decided to have a full afternoon and early evening as a fun 'family' party. Thats what was being discussed as they entered the dinning room. They were having fun planning the whole event right on the spot. The boys were all into the party because of the prospect of food. It made them more hungry for breakfast the more they talked.

Everyone went back to playing and Dawn felt their eyes leave her. She leaned forward and relaxed as her head rested in between his shoulder blades. Mark looked over his shoulder and saw that she was better.

"I used to be so good with attention long ago." Dawn said not really meaning to speak her mind out loud, but it was so easy to talk to Mark about anything.

Mark turned around and caressed her cheek. "It's alright. I'll be the center of attention for you. You don't have to do anything or be anything you don't want. Let me take on any burden you have."

Dawn felt a tear fall and he kissed it away for her. She wrapped her arms around him. She felt a little brave. She wanted to tell him everything that happened. She sighed as she shifted them to their room.

She let go of him and took one of his hands leading him to the couch. Curiously, he followed willingly. They sat down together and Dawn lifted her hand to the window's glass behind them. Her fingertips lightly pressed into the glass.

"I feel I can tell you what happened. What was done to me. You've made me brave enough."

Mark saw the glass shift and it looked like a television screen. Images moved and he saw the images of her home but more alive. "I lived with my family and was home schooled all my life. It was nothing new during that time. We were happy or so I thought. It was my twenty-first birthday that changed it all. I woke thinking it would be the best day of my life." The glass showed her looking in the mirror with the biggest smile on her face. She looked so happy and carefree. Nothing but a bright beautiful girl. Similar to the one that Mark has been seeing every so often.