Chapter Six

Silver sighed beside me. "Don't people get tired of mugging?"

"No," her sister said with a sigh. "We've been doing this together for almost a week. How many muggings have we stopped together?"

"Eighteen," I said with a sigh.

"I'd rather be going after Viper," Green Light muttered. "She stole my car last month."

I snorted as I strolled into the alleyway. Green Light followed after me while the twins floated to the other side of the building. We had the mugger surrounded. He had no chance of escaping and hadn't realized our approach.

"Hey," I called as the man fumbled through the purse of the old lady he had just mugged a few streets down. I rolled my eyes. "Sir."

The man grabbed a gun from his waistband and aimed it at me.

"I'll disarm you before you can pull the trigger, idiot." I sighed. "Just give us back the purse and hand over the gun. We can work this out."

Green Light shot me a glare. She couldn't tell if I was lying or being serious, but I don't think she liked either option.

Gold took a step forward. As soon as the mugger turned away from me, I shot forward and ripped the gun away from him. I handed it to Silver before kicking the man in the chest. He dropped the purse as he hit the wall of a building.

"Get away from me!" he shouted. "I had to pay her! It isn't my fault!"

"What the hell is this guy on?" I heard Gold mutter.

Dealing with a crazy man wasn't something I wanted to do when I could be stopping bigger threats, but I would have to endure. "Pay who?"

"Red Wave!" the man barked.

I'd never heard of her before. I shot a questioning glance at Green Light, but she only shrugged. I sighed. "I'll deal with getting him to the police station. You can continue patrol and return the purse without me. I'll catch up in no time."

Green Light picked up the purse and shot off into the sky. Silver and Gold followed. They left trails of the colors they named themselves after in their wake.

The mugger was still muttering about Red Wave as I went to grab him. "She'll kill me. She'll-"

"Who's Red Wave?" I asked, wondering if I could calm him down.

"The girl behind you," a voice scoffed.

I whirled around to face a tan girl with dark red hair secured into a long ponytail. She was standing on a fire escape, staring down at me like I was an insect that needed to be stomped on. Her mask covered everything but her dark green eyes.

"Who the hell are you?" I questioned, then cringed.

Her eyes lit up with fury. "Red Wave! I literally just-Never mind. I'm Red Wave."

Confusion seeped through me. Aubrey never mentioned Red Wave. "So...are you a villain?"

Red Wave rolled her eyes before jumping down beside me. I glanced over my shoulder and realized the mugger was running away. I'd catch up with him as soon as I dealt with the redhead.

"Look," she said, raising a finger and jabbing me in the chest. "You're messing with my income around here. This is Dare's territory, and I'm his sidekick, so you better scram."

"Oh," I said as the realization dawned upon me. "No wonder I haven't heard of you."

I grabbed Red Wave by the shoulders and slammed a knee into her stomach. She screeched and seized my wrists. I felt a growing heat and looked down only to see her hands starting to glow red. I understood her name as a searing heat scorched my skin. Letting out an agonized scream, I slammed my head against hers. She shrieked and let go.