Chapter Thirty Six

*Natalia Mendoza*

I glared down at Kate Harris from my balcony as she got out of the car. She slammed the door shut, flipped the driver off, and glanced up at me. I didn't miss the smirk she shot me before walking inside.

I shook my head, forcing myself to relax as I walked into the living room. When I passed one of my security guards, I whispered, "Stay near the door." I dug my nails into my palms when I saw her. She really was the spitting image of Katherine, and I loathed it. She was more immature and a lot less manipulative. That would be her downfall.

If I really wanted to, I could shape her into a monster. That was the only thing that calmed me down.

"Sit," I ordered, watching through narrowed eyes as Kate dropped onto the black leather couch, the smug look on her face disappearing. I sat across from her and crossed my arms. She mirrored me. "Do you have anything to say for yourself about the Iron Labs incident?"

Kate shrugged. "I was just looking for Katherine. It's not my fault that women got in my way."

I sneered at her and leaned forward. "You should be grateful you didn't kill her. Stop trying to-"

"I'll do whatever I want," Kate replied. "I'm not naïve. You won't kill me because of Devin. Love is a weakness, you know?"

It suddenly occurred to me that Kate wasn't an idiot. If anything, she was too clever for her own good. I was a fool for not noticing it sooner. I was a pawn to her. She wouldn't constantly confront me and insult me unless she had the upper hand. She was right, I was too naïve. That unnerved me.

I was actually intimidated by a sixteen year old.

"The funny thing is that Devin doesn't even talk to me," Kate added.

That wasn't a secret. The Harris family constantly excluded Kate and Evan from everything. They practically despised Evan because he was a monster. Nobody wanted Kate because they were afraid they'd be stuck raising her. At least she was aware of that. But Evan...

"Evan's been stirring things up."

Kate looked to the side, puzzled for a moment. "So? I don't care." She stood up leaned forward until we were nose to nose. "I only agreed to come here to tell you that I'm going to ruin your miserable life if you don't get Katherine out of that hellhole."

I couldn't hold myself back anymore. I stood up and pushed Kate back down onto the couch.

"You're right," I snarled, stalking passed her to the doorway. "PETER!" I turned back to Kate when he walked inside. "I won't kill you. But he will, and I'll make sure it looks like an accident."

Peter pulled his knife out of his utility belt and marched towards Kate, wasting no time as he tried to gut her with the knife. Kate wrapped her hands around his wrist and twisted until he dropped the knife. He caught it with his other hand and tried again, but the little weasel jumped back. Pete kicked her square in the chest, sending her tumbling over the coffee table. She rolled out of the way just before he could stomp on her.

Kate jumped back up and hit Peter with a right hook, then a jab before he got the chance to recover. I glanced down, noticing how she was chambering her fists before each blow. I winced, counting each blow.

1...2...3...4...5...6...Come on, Peter, it's a child! Stop being an idiot!

I knew Kate was in self defense classes, and had been since she was a kid, but this was ridiculous. How was a sixteen year old girl beating a grown man who had years of training under his belt? Was she a super? If so, what were her powers?